Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Kiwinigel1963
New Contributor
New Contributor

Upgrading phone when still in contract

What is involved cost wise of upgrading and keeping your old phone but upgrading to a new phone and contract as well?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Upgrading phone when still in contract

Assuming you are not on one of those crazy lease plans you would typically pay the old contract out (your monthly amount x months remaining) and start a new one. Depending on how far along you are with your old plan there may be some room to negotiate a wavering of some of the old contract fees however that is completely up to them. If getting a new number is not an issue then it might be beneficial to just get a second contract and a second phone.

Edit: I forgot to mention they did have 12 month trade up plans at one stage but I think you had to hand in your old phone. Someone here will no doubt correct me if I am wrong.

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Hey @Kiwinigel1963, thanks for reaching out. It would depend on your current plan - if it was still within its term you may be charged with early recontract fee and to keep the handset, you would also be required to address device repayments.

We would recommend having a chat to our Sales Team whom will be able to advise further and walk you through this process. Our teams are available over the phone at 133 937, online via the Optus App as well as in store.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Should be no lease plans left - Were removed end of July 2019
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Good to know as I think they were smoking crack when they came up with that one. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors