Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Upgrading my mobile plan

JamesNguyen

Hi,

I am on a $95 month plan ($65 for the plan and $30 for the deivce) for the samsung s10+ with 20gb of data,  so including the device protect i pay it is around $119 a month. I wanted to upgrade my plan to the $105 a month plan ($105 for plan and $0 for device) because i wanted more data. However, when the bill came around, i was charged $174.92. When looking into my bill, i see i am getting charged a fee for upgrading my plan and that i also have to pay $35 a month for device fee charge. 

So my question here is why when im upgrading my plan to a higher one, do i still have to pay a device fee every month. And also for the bill i am being charged with this month, im getting charged half the month for my old plan ($65) and the rest of the month that i upgraded ($105 plan), which i understand. But why do i also need to pay the $35 device fee charge. Also, do i have to get charged a fee for just upgrading my plan within the same family of plans? 

Thanks,

James.

Re: Upgrading my mobile plan

petergdownload

Upgrading a plan mid plan is a bit complex on the first bill. It tends to shake out by the second bill

Any upgrade of plan doesn't include the device payment portion I believe. You still have to pay off what you owe on the device. So if you've been paying $35 a month for the phone then that will still be added. You will get the extra data though. 

You can only discus billing issues with Optus directly (Live Chat, Phone or Facebook). I would suggest you wait until the second bill to see whether the $35 device fee is still there. Optus are happy to credit you for any mistakes they might make.

Peter Gillespie

JamesNguyen

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. So is the only option for me to select the $105 a month plan, is to recontract/cancel my plan? Do you know of any other way?

Thanks,

James. 

petergdownload

Don't want to give you bad advice James as I'm not actually 100% sure.

Cancelling your contract is likely not the solution as it will have a payout figure (possible fee plus the phone gets paid out at top price - if Optus are subsidising your payments while you are in the plan)

If you know anyone else who might use Optus then you could sign up a SIM Only or Phone plan for them under your name. That way you would data share both plans and get access to more data (Optus are currently doing $45 for 100Gb SIM only)

But I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to go up to the $105 teir in the same plan group. This just gives an extra subsidy on the handset and you should have what you want. I would try again with Optus Sales staff as they can be a mixed bag. You might get a different answer from another person. Note that you can't look at the plans currently on offer for phone subsidy rates - it would have to be the rate on your existing family which might be different.

I'll flag @Ray_YC  and perhaps he can answer the general question of what is possible in your situation: If I get a phone on a current $65 Plan + $15 handset is there any reason why I can't switch that to the $85 plan + $0 handset mid contract without penalty? (Same CIS family)

FWIW I still think your bill is possibly not yet updated correctly and that next month you would see the handset charge gone probably.

Peter Gillespie

Ray_YC

Hard to know without having visibility of the account. As Peter advised, recontracting/cancelling your current plan if currently in contract would incur fees.

Having a plan change fee indicates you changed from one suite/family of plans to another. Generally the monthly handset charges remain the same as that is the terms of your agreement, whilst rare customers can always downgrade again to their original plan if still available or one of equal/closest value so the monthly handset charge would get even messier then if it had to be calculated and lowered again.

Reading over your post I'm not clear if you are still paying $30/month and you got charged an additional $35 device fee change? Or it's gone from $30 up to $35? Either way that's something you should have been made aware of when requesting the change (or did you do it online yourself?) and to get looked over again to be rest assured whether is right or not.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

JamesNguyen

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response. Well my origin plan was $95 ($65 plan and $30 phone) so I'm not sure where the $35 for the device is coming from. Also  im unsure if I'm changing to a different family plan or its within the same? I'm not too sure as I just wanted to get more data to the $105($105 plan and $0 phone).

Sorry but correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I thought how it works:

I thought if I went up to the $105 plan I would only have to pay a difference of $10, because otherwise I would have chosen that plan to begin with. But instead it's an extra $40 for the plan and also $35 device fee charge ? Which one is correct?

Thanks,

James.

Ray_YC

Hi James, we don't have visibility of your account here so you would need to contact Optus for the answer.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

An extra $40 for the plan and you still need to pay the phone does sound unfair. But I can see how the Optus system might wortk that way (IME the cost you pay for the phone is fixed when you join up, so you need to keep paying that however the plan amount/data can be varied. But as you've noted at the moment it looks like you don't get the extra discount on the phone cost, on the extra data.) 

As mentioned you can only find out what is happening direct with Optus billing. Let us know how it shakes out.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
75 Kudos
70 Kudos
58 Kudos
44 Kudos