cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor EllisRourke
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading leased phone with preorder

Hi guys...

I want to upgrade my phone and my 1 year upgrade date is the 27th.

i want to upgrade to an iphone xs max and the current delivery date is the 4th of october.

my questions are,

can i preorder now and since the delivery date is aster my upgrade date, will it just be the normal $99 upgrade.

and can i do a leased phone trade up online... (some chat representatives told me it had to be in store and others told me i could do it online and i would be sent a sachel to return my old handset?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading leased phone with preorder

Hi guys...

I want to upgrade my phone and my 1 year upgrade date is the 27th.

i want to upgrade to an iphone xs max and the current delivery date is the 4th of october.

my questions are,

can i preorder now and since the delivery date is aster my upgrade date, will it just be the normal $99 upgrade.

and can i do a leased phone trade up online... (some chat representatives told me it had to be in store and others told me i could do it online and i would be sent a sachel to return my old handset?)

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Upgrading leased phone with preorder

Yeah there's some confusion as to satchel or store required. I'd suggest you will be able get the upgrade eventually but the whole lease / preorder thing is going to be too complicated for Optus to do. Even if doable there's probably a decent period where you don't have a phone involved.

Best bet is just contact LIVECHAT and request what you want. Their systems will tell them if there's an option to do it or not. I'm guessing though that until Optus just have the potential replacement phone in store they won't be offering it as an upgrade option.

Note that there will be a price increase to your plan for the more expensive phone plus a new 24 month contract involved. As always, make sure you have the phone insured as if its lost, damaged or stolen you'll have to buy a new one to give back to Optus at the end of the lease.

The Mods here might be able to look behind the scenes and join the dots @Dan_C

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

some chat reps have suggested that i can preorder online now to secure my handset.

and then my upgrade date passes and then when i recieve the handset i can drop the old one into the store?

and it will just be the $99 upgrade fee?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You'd need to get that tightly confirmed IMO (Some chat staff are a bit optomistic in what can happen.)

The process requires a brand new contract (extended to 24 months). There is also an adjustment for the phone component of the plan (So its $99 plus $20? more a month maybe). Your current data component stays the same I believe. As I said, I suspect the combining of the two processes (no matter how sensible) is just not likely to work out well. 

If you can find someone who can give you definitive answers (and in writing) then go for it. Otherwise I'd suggest your best bet is to confirm how long the $99 upgrade option stays open and hope you can just add the iPhone X 'normally'. I'm guessing that there will be much less supply issues with this model this time around.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

i think i got it in writing from someone.... but still not sure Smiley Sad

if i wait for after my upgrade date and try and do it would that be better?

even still whats the process for doing a preorder and returning a leased phone?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It may all still be doable but the process is muddled. You'll need to find someone from Optus to officially tell you what you can do (as I said, livechat should have a handle on that). If they're just telling you to pre-order the new iPhone and hopefully they can sort things with the lease later then that wouldn't be enough for me. Chances are you'll end up signed to two very expensive phone plans. Smiley Surprised

Unless you get an agreed upgrade path for your lease I would say that yes waiting would be a safer bet (besides waiting gives you a longer period of anticipation, which has been shown to provide significantly more enjoyment in the purchase process than the actual getting (which usually involves a brief period of peak 'happiness' that quickly dispates). My only caveat would be make sure you know how long the $99 upgrade option stays open (after 12 months - yes. After 13? 14?)

BTW, if you do get the option when you renew your contract I'd definitely recommend considering a non lease option. The $240 or so you save on a lease would pale incomparison to the $1000+ a seond hand iPhoneX would be worth to sell in two years.

Personally, at this stage I'd just initiate the $99 upgrade to the point where you can confirm you can explicetly select an iPhone X. Hopefully they can link it and when its available they'll ask you to take your old phone in store to get replaced. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator GuyCS

Hey @EllisRourke - we've picked up your private message and will chat with you there. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I got a response from @GuyCS (a mod here) that you should be able to take advantage of the offer. Likely need to be done in store though. I would suggest popping into a local Optus  store and trying to initiate the process there. They should be able to 

1) Check your phone is in good condition

2) Tell you the new pricing of your plan with the new phone

3) Take your $99

4) Confirm you are in the queue for a iPhoneX

5) Contact you later when your phone is ready for swap.

I would make sure you have something in writing when you leave the store though. Let us know if that's how it goes.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors