cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor BennyBucko
New Contributor

Upgraded my SIM plan. I have a currently working SIM card. Why is Optus sending me a new one?

This evening I upgraded two existing, off-contract Optus mobile services to the $40/m (online-only) SIM plan (with 15GB data). Both services are currently still working fine, and I can see that the plan changes went through fine when I login to my account. The curious thing to me is that Optus added a new SIM card to each order when checking out and I couldn't do anything to prevent this.

My questions are:

• Why is Optus sending me new SIM cards when the ones I have already work fine?
  • Do I have to use these new SIM cards when they arrive or can I simply destroy them?
  • Am I likely to have any service interuption?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Moderator Marie

Re: Upgraded my SIM plan. I have a currently working SIM card. Why is Optus sending me a new one?

Hey @BennyBucko,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

We do send out new SIM cards as they can wear out over time and we recommend changing them every two years to ensure you're connection is well maintained.

You certainly don't need to change to the new SIM cards and not changing won't cause issues with your connection.

If you were to change SIM cards this can take up to 4 hours and the only interruption would be when the old SIM stops working and the new one starts. 

Hope this helps. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor ronpenny
New Contributor

Re: Upgraded my SIM plan. I have a currently working SIM card. Why is Optus sending me a new one?

Thank you for that I may look at changing my Sim card when I receive it but it's good to know that the one I have is okay 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @ronpenny, that's not a problem. You can always request for a new Optus SIM card at anytime from your local Optus retail outlet. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors