cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Stevo44
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade Prepaid SIM and Phone - Alcatel

My wife has an old Alcatel POP on an Optus Prepaid Plan. It has seen better days so we have just bought her a new Alcatel A3 that comes with a new prepaid Optus SIM and gift card.

She is happy to keep her current plan and phone number but obviously needs to swap SIM to a nano. Can she move her number across to the SIM provided with the new phone or do we need an entirely different SIM? Also can we still use the gift card?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RetiredModerator Brock_E
RetiredModerator

Re: Upgrade Prepaid SIM and Phone - Alcatel

Thanks for reaching out, @Stevo44. To answer your initial question, the SIM that came with the new handset would be a Prepaid Starter Kit, I'd advise leaving that SIM if your wife wants to keep her current number. The quickest way to get her up and running would be by heading to your nearest Optus store and requesting to have a replacement Nano SIM activated. 

You can definitely still use the gift card that came with the handset. All the information you need to activate it can be found here.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Brock - will do.

One other question - as the phone is a Christmas gift can I get the new SIM sorted at Optus but not activate it till then? The wife can then use her old phone till then the activate the new card at Christmas.

If not we'll just get it sorted when she gets the handset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Brock_E
RetiredModerator

Ahhh, yes. Thanks for giving me a little more insight.

You can always grab a blank Nano SIM at a store, and then activate the SIM card over the phone when she's given her new handset for Christmas Smiley Happy That way, nothing changes in the meanwhile, and it saves you from making an extra trip as you'll already have the replacement SIM on hand.

Occasional Contributor

Brilliant - thanks!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Brock_E
RetiredModerator

You're very welcome, @Stevo44 Smiley Happy If you need a hand with anything else moving forward, please don't hesitate to reach out! 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors