Searching...

Mobile Products & Network

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Unsolicited subscription

NicLeanne

Hi guys, I need some help. I received a text with the following.

FreeMsg: Buzzokey subscription costs $6.99/wk to your mobile account for 160 Mobile Games. Optout send STOP to 19789226 HELP:1800793904 http://au.buzzokey.mobi/

I don't know how these people got my number but once I responded with STOP they tell me I have already incurred costs. 

Any advice on how to stop this and avoid any charges hitting my phone account? 

I'm worried that by responding to stop that I may have triggered something more...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Unsolicited subscription

Becg

I'll say it again, I couldn't get any assistance from Optus, couldn't even get in contact and I tried chat, phone etc. go to the telecommunications ombudsman 

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

The moderators of this forum help people with this problem. However @Becg , you have not yet started a thread to alert them. They will notice both of you in this thread.

We get fatigued answering this question, as people come here, indignant, as if they are the first person ever to suffer being scammed, because they clumsily browsed a game site and stuck their fingers all over a game advert.

Optus sends your phone number to affiliates as you browse. You deal with some of it by going into your account settings, and turning off Premium SMS.

They should really have a sticky thread, that people can go to, and just say "me too".

Solution

petergdownload

Its a 'legal' scam. At some point recently you probably clicked a link. Win a free iPhone? Can you Answer this? Whatever it was you got signed up for a premium SMS "subscription".

The good news is that sending STOP does end the scam (but the rest of the "subscription" comes due)

The better news is its fairly straight forward to reverse the charges. The scam works buy refunding on request and pocketing money others don't dispute or even realise has been charged. 

Contact Optus directly (phone / livechat) and ask for the charges on your bill to be disputed. Optus will dispute it. The scammers won't reply. Optus can then apply a credit on your next bill. 

To stop it happening again ask Optus to reduce your "Premium SMS limit to $0"

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NicLeanne

Thanks guys, I just couldn't find anything in the threads about this particular company so wasn't sure if it was the same as the others or something new.

I don't recall entering a gaming site but as suggested, it could have been an ad. 

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'm on love chat now getting my account blocked.

NicLeanne

Hi Bec, sorry you didn't get any solution from Optus. I had success on live chat by coming through billing enquiries. The person that I connected with was really helpful, he said he blocked my account from these types of services and we're disputing the initial charge. The buggers had already snuck $6.59 onto my account.

petergdownload

Agree 10EB,

I've thought a sticky could cover the most repetetive topics. I'm getting 'scam' fatigue too. Not sure the forum format really works with it though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Introducing the Optus Business Care hub

Here you’ll find a complete suite of help and support exclusively for our small and medium business customers. Read More

Top Contributors
34 Kudos
17 Kudos
13 Kudos
11 Kudos
10 Kudos