Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Pippa10
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unlocking a prepaid Alcatel pocket mobile locked to Optus

I have purchased an Alcatel pocket Wifi locked to Optus. When I am travelling overseas in a few months time (hopefully corona virus will have gone) I will need to access affordable local Sim cards in areas I am staying - mainly Europe.

While I would like to continue to use my Optus sim card overseas, I am not sure it will work for data only. (or am I wrong there?)

I want to buy prepaid data Sims as I will be away a long time and will buy them for the region I am in.

I cannot find any instruction on how to unlock this prepaid Optus Wi-Fi. It is an Alcatel 4G plus.

While I  am in Australia I will continue to use my Optus pocket WiFi as I have been with them for many years and am happy with the service, but I do need the instructions on how to unlock to use other providers' Sims in the Alcatel device when out of Australia.

Why would there be a fee for unlocking the device, as when I return to Australia I will again use my Optus prepaid account?

I dont want to go overseas and find I cannot use it, so I  need to sort this now.

Can anyone help me

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unlocking a prepaid Alcatel pocket mobile locked to Optus

The link below has instructions on unlocking the device. There is no unlocking fee if the device has been active for many years. I would only use a local sim as even with an Optus travel pack it is an expensive way to use data.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1399 

0 Kudos
Pippa10
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sorry this only brought me to a general information page with no links on how to proceed to actually do this. Particularly as the page you referred me to is about unlocking phones and tablets. This is a prepaid pocket WiFi I am trying to unlock. Any better ideas Please?

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No sorry, can't think of any better ideas.

unlock-mbb.jpg

0 Kudos
ElMaroto
New Contributor
New Contributor

After you get the unlock code from Optus follow these steps:

1. Insert a non-accepted SIM on your Alcatel Mobile WiFi Hotspot
  2. Log on to your Alcatel WiFi Modem/Hotspot page
  3. Enter login information
  4. Wait for “Enter Sim Unlock” screen to prompt
  5. Enter the unlock code Optus sent you
  6. Voila! Your WiFi Hotspot is now unlocked!
0 Kudos