Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unlocking Optus phone to go overseas

I bought an Optus X Alcatel 5056l from an Optus shop 7 months ago and have used Coles prepaid on Optus network from new. I was told by sales person that I could unlock for free after 6 months. This doesn't seem to be the case and have had the run around from Optus customer service for about a month. Have also tried 3 online services for unlock code but have been told this is one model they have no code for!  Can anyone help please? I would like to take the phone with me overseas soon. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Unlocking Optus phone to go overseas

You've done all of these?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @np88 - Provided that you've recharged your Optus Prepaid service to a minimum/accumulated amount of $80.00 there isn't a fee, otherwise a fee of $25 will apply to unlock your handset regardless of the amount you've already recharged.  

A link to request an unlock fee, can be found here. Follow the steps and let us know how it all goes. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Shauna and Peter

Thank you for your replies but I have filled in that form a dozen times at least. At the end it just says this is not an Optus phone!! A bit infuriating. However I have since been successful in unlocking the phone after "chatting" for about an hour to an Optus "chatter" who offered to get in touch with the manufacturer to get the code. 24 hours later I had the code and unlocked the phone. I am now a happy camper but annoyed it took so long to resolve such a simple thing.

Kind regards.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Chatter" = Optus LiveChat person? I think marketting could do something with that "Got a problem? Lets have a chat." Smiley Happy

LiveChat sometimes cops flak because they can overpromise and then sometimes are never heard from again. But there's definitely a can do approach for many of the staff when faced with an issue not quite handled by the automated systems. No doubt there are 1000's of people who never really realise that something extra was done to fix up a glitch like this.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Thanks heaps for the update @np888 - Sounds like the process could be made a little easier 😞 I've flagged this post as feedback to the relevant department. If you need a hand with anything else, please let us know 🙂

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos