cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unexplained data use

Hi, I've just had a look at the data breakdown on my phone's data and 28% of my 100gb has been used on a site I've never been to "net .hr" apparently a croatian news site. Seems super dodgy, I'm just not sure how this has happened or what the go is. Has my device/emails/account been hacked? Would be great if anyone could shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Unexplained data use

So is your phone actually reporting this usage or the Optus app?  If its the Optus app then it may potentially be a mislabelling.

Your phone should actually tell you which app is using the data. What phone do you have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Iv'e had the same thing, really weird never been on the site and it is poped up everywhere in my data breakdown...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Stojii wrote:
Iv'e had the same thing

Then you can answer the same questions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

iPhone 11. I’ve only noticed it in the Optus app breakdown. Had a look at data use in phone settings and it doesn’t really line up with day by day use on the Optus app. On my phone YouTube has a similar amount of data used but on a lot of the days charted on the Optus app I hadn’t been using YouTube, or really using any data at all on those days.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Jicklebug wrote:
I’ve only noticed it in the Optus app breakdown.

By all accounts the Optus app seems to be hit and miss with its breakdown.

How dos the overall usage as reported by Optus app compare to what the phone reports. Can you account for say 98-99% of the data?

Also does the phone report any apps using data that you either don't recognise or that is using more data then you expect?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

So in the phone’s data use is the “current period” amount the total data used since I got this phone seeing as I haven’t reset it? If that’s the case, when I’ve added up the monthly data use according to Optus they say I’ve used over 100 extra gb than what the phone says. Can’t see any apps I don’t recognise and data use for the ones there seems normal.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'm not an Apple user but I found this info about "current period":

Current Period refers to the period of time since the last reset. This is nothing to do with the cellular plan. You can see the beginning date of the current period by scrolling to the bottom and looking at the date under the reset option.

If you have never reset the counter, it has been counting up like the odometer of a car since you started the OS at a clean restore.

And from what I can tell you will manually have to reset it every month at the start of the billing cycle if you want it to be anywhere close to in sync.

So overall it looks like the Optus app has just mislabelled the data.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hope so. I’ve been in contact with Optus anyway and they’ve sent the info to IT. Hopefully they’ll get back to me with an explanation/solution. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello! I am currently having the same issue on my phone. Did they ever solve this issue for you?

0 Kudos