New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Unexplained data use

Same here. Mysterious website usage

LateralNw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unexplained data use NET.HR phone App

I see the same thing and never use net.hr . It is using a considerable amount of data.
I can prove it’s not phone related as I have 2 sims the other never goes into a phone but is always connected to a computer via a router.
I have queried optus on their phone program and noticed they changed the misinformation they where stating, eg UDP protocol.
The app also seems unable to report 4hrs past data usage. It seems to struggle with 3 days past!
NET.HR needs to be defined and explained what it is by OPTUS.
I’m not far from going to the ombudsman due to this and other incorrect data counting and double data counting.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@LateralNw wrote:
I have 2 sims the other never goes into a phone but is always connected to a computer via a router.

Are these two SIMs sharing data on the same account? 

So are you saying the second SIM is inserted directly into a router?

I have queried optus on their phone program and noticed they changed the misinformation they where stating, eg UDP protocol.

So what are Optus saying about their phone program?

What were they saying about UDP before, and what are they saying about UDP now?

0 Kudos
strangewhine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm reporting this is still happening in September 2020. There was one day where almost 400mb was downloaded and since them, a steady 1-5 mb a day. 

I'm not really concerned, but I would like to know for curiosity's sake what we are all seemingly updating on our devices. I'm pretty sure it's benign or a firmware update, but still it should be recognized correctly. (Edit: could it actually be a content server for Spotify?!)

20200929_153119.jpg

Screenshot_20200929-153011_My Optus.jpg

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @strangewhine, data usage is not only download but also includes upload. The usage is the total shared usage across all the services on the account. Due to privacy we can`t see what specific websites customers visit. We only show the top generic 6 data usage to customers. 

We won`t charge for something that you have not used. You can also download independent data monitor apps that will give you more details of which app / websites are using the data and if via Wi-Fi or Cellular connection. Please refer to our → support page for more info. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
LateralNw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc 

two SIMs sharing data

about UDP

Yes two sims.  One in Optus dongle.  Share data same account.

UDP they claimed in their app that it is not used for video etc.  UDP does xfer video.

attached an image of a previous version of their app.

UDP screen shot.png

0 Kudos
LateralNw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Kartika 

We only show the top generic 6 data usage to customers.

We won`t charge for something that you have not used. 

Nice to see a moderator.

While privacy can be a problem to find out some things, it would be very handy if you could find out what Optus thinks is Net.Hr 

This would  explain a lot and put people minds at ease.

If Optus is mentioning it then they know what kind of data is passing to or from it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LateralNw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@strangewhine 

I have approx 2GB taken so far. Almost end of month.
It only seems to happen on one device. Not on my phone but the dongle I use.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@strangewhine wrote:

Edit: could it actually be a content server for Spotify?!

I've done a bit of a deep dive into the IP addresses associated with net.hr and I think I can see what is happening.

It appears that Optus is labelling anything that is going to net.hr's IP address with "net.hr".

For example, in the last few months net.hr's IP address has changed at least twice, and it shared them with the likes of newscorp.com (and tons of other Fox related domains),   at least two spotify subdomains (insights.spotify.com & labs.spotify.com), and tons of other domains./subdomains.

So it looks like Optus saw a lot of traffic going to the IP address, associated a domain name to it, and lumped all data going to that IP as belonging to the domain name they looked up, rather then true domain name.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@LateralNw wrote:

Yes two sims.  One in Optus dongle.  Share data same account.

Thanks for clarification. 

UDP they claimed in their app that it is not used for video etc.  UDP does xfer video.

While that is technically correct (UDP can actually be used for just about anything) , I'm assuming they say its not used for video because I think most platforms use TCP instead of UDP as they need to buffer the videos which is much easily done with TCP then UDP. The main exception I would expect is time sensitive live streaming where its definitely preferred to use UDP.

0 Kudos