Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor alex6489
Occasional Contributor

Unexplained 3GB used in 3 mins mobile data

So I put my phone down to go to sleep at 12:22am. At this stage I’ve just received a message saying I’ve used approx 17 GB of my monthly 20GB allowance - I’m aware of this, it’s all good. I wake up half an hour later to see I’ve received three messages from Optus saying that I’ve exceeded the 20GB, and an extra 1GB has been added for $10. Then the 1GB is used, another has been added. And a third time! The best part? The messages were spaced within 3 MINUTES. Apparently, my phone which was not even in use, did not have open apps and did not receive any notifications during this time used 3GB of data in 3 MINUTES. Costing me $30. Bottom line, I’m not the person to be stolen from, I need any advice from community members on how to approach Optus about this. If an Optus employee reads this I suggest getting in touch immediately as I will not be fooled into paying for a scam, nor will I continue to be an Optus customer if this isn’t sorted out. I can not afford to be throwing $30 away at a whim.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Unexplained 3GB used in 3 mins mobile data

The auto top up process that Optus use is shameful. They provide no way to opt out of just being slugged for endless amounts. There's nothing to stop you being topped up for $1500 or more.

This wouldn't be so bad except that Optus don't
provide a reliable way to track your usage. Contractually they will use best efforts to send you usage information within 48 hours. In practice its usually within 15-60 minutes but can be longer.

So the data update you got were not for those 3 minutes but presumably the usage from the hours before. There are legal responsibilities to send you SMS at 50%, 90% 100% and on every top up I would suggest the following:

1) Get in touch with Optus and say you had 3 'warnings' in 3 minutes and that this is not in any way reasonable or useful. With luck you'll get a good customer service person and they'll just re-credit you the amount.

2) If you have an Android phone check the settings as there is the ability to set monthly data warnings and limits. This means your phone measures the data and you have instant and accurate usage information (and the phone will automatically stop consuming when you hit the limit you set.

3) Make a complaint to the ACCC. They won't help you specifically but hopefully enough complaints will see them look into Optus (again) for exposing their customers to yet another way to stip them of money that they can't control.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response. Totally agree. I’ll get in touch with Optus today and if they do not credit me back the money I’ll lodge a complaint with the ACCC. This has got to stop.
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
3) Make a complaint to the ACCC. They won't help you specifically but hopefully enough complaints will see them look into Optus (again) for exposing their customers to yet another way to stip them of money that they can't control.

But the TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman) will help you specifically if Optus does not resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The TIO is usually more concerned when Telcos don't provide what the contract says. Unfortunately the 1gb Auto Top up is unashamedly front and centre in all contracts and the CIS
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I may end up trying both the TIO and ACCC. Whatever it takes really.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

AN UPDATE: Ended up getting another message half an hour later saying the 3rd extra GB had been used , so now up to $40. I might add I had my mobile data turned off for half an hour before this message came through. In fact it was off when the message came through.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
The TIO is usually more concerned when Telcos don't provide what the contract says. Unfortunately the 1gb Auto Top up is unashamedly front and centre in all contracts and the CIS

True, but this is a billing issue. Optus have asserted that @alex6489 has exceeded his quota by ? GB, they have to be able to back that assertion up with evidence like providing session logs showing how they arrived at that extra usage. Then @alex6489  can compare that log to his usage pattern to determine if it was even possible that he used as much data as they claim when they claim. We are talking multiple GB on a mobile device here, so there has to be some clues in the log. 

@alex6489 What type of device do you have? Do you have any auto updates enabled for the device OS or apps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I be pretty certain Optus are spot on in the amount of data used. The issue here is mainly the timelines off the usage warnings (which Optus state may be up to 48 hours late).

It's mainly down to the effort needed. IMO of its not resolved fast then just start looking for a new provider. But I agree that getting the TIO involved might work simply because telcos don't like high TIO complaint counts.

But at this stage I'd wait and see what customer service says. It could all be over before or begins.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I’ve got an iPhone 8. Fairly sure my updates are only set to auto while on wifi.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors