Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unexplained 3GB used in 3 mins mobile data

I think it might be correct as well, but the delay in notification is an absolute scam. I would have turned the data off immediately if I’d known I’d exceeding my data limit. Instead I ended up losing $40 before I was even aware of it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I be pretty certain Optus are spot on in the amount of data used.

I agree, short of some system failure somewhere they should be right.

The issue here is mainly the timelines off the usage warnings (which Optus state may be up to 48 hours late).

And because of those timing problems its caused confusion/worry (just think about all the confusion/worry that the "your order was update" messages cause)  which is why you need to be able to get access to session logs.  I don't know how ACCC allows 48 hours to fly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@alex6489 wrote:
I’ve got an iPhone 8. Fairly sure my updates are only set to auto while on wifi.

Thanks. You probably should make sure updates for apps and OS are set to wifi only.

Do iPhones have show how much mobile/wifi data apps use? With android even the default app tells you which apps used what amount of data in the given month, and apps like glass wire can give you much finer breakdown then that.

I would have turned the data off immediately if I’d known I’d exceeding my data limit. Instead I ended up losing $40 before I was even aware of it.

Scary I know. Unfortunately the safest way to monitor usage is via the phone and not from the provider. There should only be minuscule different between what the phone reports was used and what the provider says you used, but that should only ever be an issue if you are right near your quota limit.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately Apple shows data usage cumulatively until it is ‘reset.’ So unless you reset it right before the issue occurred there’s really no way to know.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yes Apple suck at this game too. Its astonishing that in this day and age the 2nd biggest mobile seller can't give their customers the ability to better control data usage.

The only thing you can do is reset the data manually at the start of each month of your plan. That way when you're getting closer to your Optus reported limit (say 15Gb out of 20Gb) then you can check in with the amount shown to see if you actually have 5Gb left to play with or if there's 4Gb of unreported data usage still to go.

Frankly its Russian Roulette and with Optus Mobile plans now much closer to the Telstra price point I'd suggest its just not worth the risk. Telstra by the way now provide speed shaping and not 25% fines for 1% infractions. 

0 Kudos