Searching...

Mobile

Re: Understanding data usage on your smart phone

Zymurgy

You would think with all this wonderful computing technology available today, a company could write a program that monitored usage and when said useage was at max, stop any more data usage for said user, if they elected that option.

But no, it's a MANUAL operation that the user must do. And if they miss out by a few bytes, don't worry, we'll make another $10.00 - YES Optus.

Is that the right way to do it - NO (and I thought we were all about YES here).

Your option is to allow the customers to ALWAYS go over, it's just your method of cost recovery that has changed.

Fonki

Thanks ian

I dont see the point in checking the data usage on the app or online due to the 24 hour lag as its never accurate. Its a total waste of time as no doubt yr data usage is ever increasing... especially when you use those methods which are not free. They def should be free and should provide an accurate state of yr account at that point in time

Fonki

Also not loving the auto bump feature. Customers should have an option as to whether they want to.buy more data esp if its so close to be reset. Otherwise, allow the data to be rolled over into the next billing period 

I'm a new customer and im not loving postpaid mobile at all due to the data usage perspective entirely! Eg 24 lag on app and online, late notifications, poor customer service, better deals with postpaod postpaid with free streaming  etc etc

Fonki

I want option 2 as well... especially if its going to be reset in next billing period

And/Or option 3 - rollover yr extra data to next billing period 

I totally agree with this poster. People should have the option of whether they want to pay for extra data or not. It shouldn't be automatically topped up esp when the data usage functions on the app and online are not showing accurate info

Fonki

Still dodgy optus. People should have the option of whether they would like auto topups or not. 

I wonder whether its even ethical to charge people in this way. Ill raise it with consumer affairs and see what they say

Toomey

If going over your data cap is something that you don't ever want to worry about, then I would probably suggest a prepaid service. Not only can you not access more data when you hit your cap but the majority of our plans have data roll-over if you recharge before it expires.

I have always been on prepaid until March of this year then I wanted the new Samsung and I too was concerned by auto bumps but as it is clearly mentioned in the terms and conditions, I knew it would be my responsibility to look after.

As soon as I got my new phone I set up data limits between my billing dates just like the instructions that Ian provided (it takes less than 1 minute to do) and have never once had to pay any excess fees. I definitely recommend this method for anyone with excess data concerns.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Zymurgy

First, I can't take advantage of a pre-paid plan, as the cable service doesn't take this into account for a BUNDLE discount!

So whilst your are all offering excuses for the Optus 'TERMS and CONDITIONS", Optus can change them to offer even more value to their customers.

They choose not to, this implies - revenue is the key, not customer satisfaction!

The phone is not in my hands, it's in the hands of, shall we say 'a less technical person'. They don't differentiate between phone call or web search - it's a mobile phone! So I wanted them to use the phone freely up to the limit and then safely cease till next month. I'll just turn off DATA, not the best option, not the desired option, but the only option available. Yes, I know it's sad.

A simple request - a YES was all I was after.

Fonki

Agree with Z here. I would've preferred options. Its currently inflexible and not a great customer experience. 

Godders69

Data usage reporting is critically flawed in WA.

After 10pm AWST, the amount of data used DISAPPEARS from the Optus app. 

It just says zero data or usage for the day, which is incorrect. 

When is is it going to be fixed?

lrukkandan

Very useful! Thank you!!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
137 Kudos
117 Kudos
81 Kudos
80 Kudos
47 Kudos