Searching...

Mobile

Re: Understanding data usage on your smart phone

Toomey

@Zymurgy Completely agree with you that a data cap would be very handy, but whilst it isn't a service that Optus offer I am trying to find a suitable alternative for you. Have you tried setting a data cap in the phone as mentioned before? Given your circumstances I believe this would be the best method to avoid excess fees. Ian has posted instructions on how to do this.

@Godders69 That is an unusual fault I have not come across before. Have you tried this troubleshooting?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Zymurgy

I see no option to set a data cap (iphone).

Toomey

Hmm yes my mistake sorry, it doesn't appear to be as straight forward though iOS as Android. The only other thing I could recommend would be to find a third party application that offers faster data warnings/data capping if possible. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Harry123

Maybe Optus should look at capping, specially as its obviosly not capable of providing correct information about our data usage or counting the data properly.

According to Optus my usage was updated at 5pm and I had over 3GB of data left. I checked my emails , read a couple of newspaper articles and closed the laptop. At 8.23pm while watching TV I got an SMS to tell me I used my 22GB and had an extra 1GB for $10.   I opened the laptop and went to Optus My Account page but got the error, come back later message. Then got another message, still 8.23pm that I've used 100% of the 2GB and had another 1GB for $10.  Optus my account was still not working so couldn't see what was going on so I closed the laptop. At 21:21pm I got anouther message that I used the extra 2GB  and now had another 1GB for $10. Then the new billing cycle began and couldn't see the detailed usage anymore. Today  when I looked at the bill there is a $50 charge for the extra data I supposedly used. Now I don't mind paying for any data I use but I don't appreciate being scammed and if I have to take the matter to the Ombudsman to get the bill fixed and get an appology then so be it.

How do I go about getting a detailed data usage for 26 June ? I would like to see where the missing 7GB+ went and how was it possible to use 3GB of data in under a minute using a 3G mobile. I'm sure the NBN co would be interested in aquiring this technology to replace the slower fibre it is currently installing. Smiley Tongue

phuong

Gen_R

Hey @Harry123 - the data usage that we bill you for is counted correctly and it counted directly from you SIM card. The MyOptus app / MyAccount don't actually update in real time and will provide the timestamp. If you'd like the breakdown of the 26th of June, can definitely give that to you, no worries. I just need you to please send me a private message with your full name, DOB and the mobile number in question. Gen 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Harry123

Thanks for that Gen but have already requested an explanation and a copy by snail mail from

Customer Relations Group, PO Box 306 , SALISBURY SOUTH, SA 5106 .  If they can't sort it out then  the next step is the Ombudsman.

I tried getting the breakdown of data from your consultant Dave and was told that he was unable to provide it to me, something with being a protected pdf file. His advise was to turn off data on my mobile which would defeat the purpose of having a smart phone in the first place and suggested the data may have been used by my apps or laptop updating software.  Only thing about that is that I don't auto update my apps, even removed some of the apps that came with the phone and I update my Linx Mint manually. Besides that 7.9 GB would be enough to completely replace all my software 3x over.

He was nice enough to removed the extra $50 charges from the invoice but that did not address the root of the problem.

I understand that the data in My Account is not updated in real time. My previous update on 26 June at 17.04pm showed 3.06GB remaining and since from that time to the time I received the first SMS alert at 20.23 pm the only data used was to checked the emails and looked at the news page so no way I could have gone through 3GB.

The first SMS at 20.23pm said that I used my 22GB and received another 1GB for $10

Less then a minute later, still at 20.23pm I got the second SMS to say I just used the extra 2GB. Not that I have had added 1 or 2 extra GB but that I have just used them.

Now I know Optus 4G network is supposed to be fast but I'm still on 3G and rural fringe area so no way I could have used 3GB in under a minute, don't think that is even possible on NBN.  More likely Optus dumped the entire data usage for all WA users on my bill. 

The third SMS alert came less then an hour later to say that I have used the extra 2GB.

Throughout this time the only data I used was to go online to check what was going on. I logged into My Account and was unable to see my data usage detail and got a “ We are working on it! We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties. Please try again soon! “ message.  I did and got this  "Plan Info o Usage Summary o Usage Details o International Roaming o Settings o Options & Extras o Usage Summary <#r-64> + Plan Info + Usage Summary + Usage Details + International Roaming + Settings + Options & Extras 26 May 2016 to 25 Jun 2016 Your usage was last updated *26 Jun 2016, 17:04* 1 Day Left *Alert:* You've used more than 85% of your additional tiers. Once you reach 100% we may need to either limit your use for the rest of the month or continue to apply additional charges. See Optus Mobile Fair Go â„¢ Policy. Learn more Show details <#> × Data Data 3.06 GB remaining 86% Used + 1 GB $10.00 1 GB $10.00 3.06 GB Remaining *Included: 22 GB * o Show Details <#r-219> so even that shows the last update at 17.04pm and 3.06GB remaining. No mention of using the 22GB, or the 1GB or the extra 2GB.  About an hour later I got bumped into the new montly billing cycle and could only see that I used 7.9GB on 26 June. 

With regards to counting the data from my SIM card, I have a data manger app which is supposed to trigger an alarm at 13GB and cap the data at 16GB. I got the 13GB alert but never reached the 16GB for that billing cycle. The phone settings detailed data used for each app showed a similar number. To me that would suggest discrepancies in counting of data usage between my phones and Optus system  even before the last update at 17.04pm.

Cheers,

Harry

Shae

Really sorry to hear that you've had to chat with our CRG team to get this resolved Harry. Once they receive the letter, they'll be in touch within 10 business days to look into this with you.

nigelt

Hi

I have a similar problem.  We use wireless broadband in a rural area (ADSL and NBN not avaialable) using Myplan Plus and linking data from mobile phones and modem resulting in 36 GB available. We watch data useage carefully using the Optus dashboard as most data useage is over the modem. Some months there is an unexplainable surge of data consumption in the last few days.  In April there was nearly $200 extra charged.  In July we apparantly used an extra 7 GB in the last 7days despite consciously stopping most known useage of data by turning off phones and computers.  However when I was looking at the Dasboard useage details, this rate was not reflected. I went to a local Optus shop to try and discuss this but my laptop and the shops computer showed technical problems and could not bring up the detailed useage.  Talking to the call centre was difficult as the accent was so strong, but the helpful optus staff member managed to interperet.  I could not however get any reason for how the useage differed between the dashboard and the SMS messages of excess fees.  There is not an 'insight' button on the dashboard so I cannot see if there is a logical reason for high expenditure. The only variables I can see are the technical problems Optus has in displaying useage details and an even slower than normal download speed (even on 4G) which causes Google to say that downoad has taken too long, try again later. Like the other writer, I believe Optus should change its package to give a choice,  I am on a pension and must choose carefully how I spend money.  Having unexpected high Optus bills when I have cut back using data means I have to make savings elsewhere.

Harry123

The funny thing was that with Telstra I was on a 8GB plan and that was enough data on most months when now I'm going through 22GB a month.  It seems that data usage is not the only thing that Optus is calculating differently, they also calculate business days differently because I'm still waiting for a reply to my complaint long after the rest of Australia has had their 10 business days.

While waiting I have been keeping a closer eye on data usage over the past month and noticed that spikes in data usage seem to occur around the time when there are issues accesing the account usage details because Optus is "thinkering under the hood". 

Over the past month I noticed spikes of about 3GB each day on 1 July, 6 July, 15 July and 23 July and am now keeping track of daily usage to find out where does the data go since the Optus Dashboard and usage details is absolutely useless in finding out what is using the data and most of the time up to 1 day behind.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
73 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos