cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor 2C4Smelb
New Contributor

Re: Understanding data usage on your smart phone

Thanks for the helpful information.
New Contributor 2C4Smelb
New Contributor

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor bdl-autofast1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ian,

Well written instructions !!!  My wife's mobile has been chewing up a lot of data and we've both been wondering why.  I followed your instructions and noticed that the app "Google Play Store" is the biggest data muncher and we don't really use this app nor do we download games as such.

I've adjusted the settings to have my phone alert me about my mobile data usage and/ or set a limit if I hit a certain threshold.  Let's see what this does and if it works, then we'll apply it to the Mrs' mobile.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Dave
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the feedback bdl-autofast1!

Keen to hear how things worked out since you'v made the changes Smiley Happy

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

New Contributor quinnius
New Contributor

So have heard conflicting info when tethering/using hotspot... if connecting a laptop to your mobile does that chew through more data than if just accessing the data on your mobile? thanks

Occasional Contributor bdl-autofast1
Occasional Contributor

My issue was resolved successfully.  Once I dealt with a "real" customer service person, the problem identification and resolution process rolled on pretty smoothly.  The customer service person I dealt with was very professional yet accommodating.  His patience made my experience more satisfying.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Hey quinnius, a laptop is more likely to have data hungry background Apps which chew through your data. As far as the computer is concerned it is connected to a WiFi link and can use as much data as it needs. However mobile Apps are more likely to be conservative with data and settings in place to reduce usage while on mobile connection.

@bdl-autofast1, great to hear that your issue was resolved. Really appreciate you taking the time to write back and letting us know.

New Contributor AussieLes
New Contributor

Hi, Looks like a great and informative post, wondering if there are similar tips for Windows phones?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Zymurgy
New Contributor

New to Optus and I feel this is just spin:

"My Plan Plus was made available due to what customers were telling us about their data usage. It's basically designed to add extra data so there's no chance of being charged at a higher excess data rate."

There were no customers that wanted you to stop data access if they exceeded their limit?

What Optus is doing is another way to raise revenue, if you were serious, it would be an option like opting out of Premium SMS.

1. Autopay for extra data

or

2. Stop data access till nextbilling cycle.

I want OPTION 2.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hey Zymurgy, restricting a customers usage if they've exceeded their pre-approved spend is a function of a Pre-Paid plan. On a Post-Paid plan, it's an expectation that the user understands the costs and can manage their own usage accordingly. The issue we had is that once people exceeded their plan data, even if they were advised that data was $0.25 per MB, was that they would go over and be in shock with how much they were charged. The way we decided to combat this was to automatically add on extra data for $10 per 1GB. All handsets have the power to turn off data so if you wanted to stop your data usage, all you'd need to do is go into your phone and disable mobile data.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors