Ive recently started my new plan where i get 15gb with free music and movie streaming. It's been 2 days into the new month and it says I've used up almost 4gb already. I've been binging on stan these past 2 days. It's supposed to be free but it's sucking up all my data. What happens once I reach the 15gb and start going over? Am I still going to be charged using stan? Like almost all my data is going on stan. I checked 86% of the usage is from stan. I am very confused and frustrated here and feel like I was scammed.
Its a new setup and there are various thngs to sort.
1. Did you get an SMS saying FREE data is now setup on your phone?
2. If not have you gone into MY ACOUNT and turned on the free data yourself? (Select SPORTS and ENTERTAINMENT at the top)
3. Are you viewing STAN using the mobile APP (Data isn't free if you stream it to another device like a TV)
4. Are you only streaming in SD? HD data is not free.
5. Not 100% sure but the usage of free data is normally counted. But you'll find its zeroed out on the bill (so you don't get charged for it)
6. You will get a SMS from Optus when you reach 50%, 85% and 100% of your limit (and for any top ups). So perhaps keep viewing and when you get to 8Gb usage and still no 50% SMS then you'll know Optus aren't counting that data.
7. FYI if you have an Android or Windows phone you should set up data limits on it to stop you going over your 15Gb (although free data will muck that calculation up I suspect)
8. On any optus plan if you go over your limit you will be given 1Gb more for $10. This happens automatically and up to 150 times.
9. As a completely unrelated area, contact Optus and ask them to set your Premium SMS limit to $0 - stops you getting scammed by websites.
Why in the My Optus App does it not show a total usage for previous bills??
When viewing the "current bill" it shows the circle icon, then shows the amount you've used so far.
But then when you look at previous usage, it shows the circle icon, but the amount used is removed...
Why is this?
Is this some kind of tactic to disadvantage customers in situations such as when they get an excess data fee 4 hours before their billinc cycle ends, and they don't agree that they went over?
I'm sure a lot of people have met this situation, and usually by the time someone notices in such a situation, the billing cycle has ended, and the usage total disappears.
I can't see any previous usage in the app like you descibe (I can download and view previous bills in PDF format in the app, but the main usage meter seem to only show the current month - Android)
I'm not sure about the tatical disadvantage you mention? Have you ever tried to ring Optus up and dispute data usage? They will tell you their system shows you used this much this month. They can't tell you much about what it was used on but I've never heard them say it was a mistake on their part and offer a refund. Even people who posted here saying they had the phone turned off all month or on WIFI only all month have been charged top up amounts.
I assume past data is already available if you want to get it (just a few clicks slightly harder). Showing a pst usage graph that matched the current usage may also be a recipe for confusion. But most likely they just didn't spec it in the original design and try store that data. But you've given me the idea to start an App thread for suggestions.
Scams alright, i recharged lastnight and I get 10gb, somehow I've used all that up and it's saying I've got 40mb left, the only apps I use is Facebook & Spotify which I activated the free streaming for, Whats the best can you do on retrieving your data back
Unfortunately getting your data back seems fairly unlikely in practice. Optus seem to be fairly adamant that they record data usage correctly. They can't say what the data was (save some broad groupings) but they will insist you have used it (knowingly or otherwise)
With iPhones people should reset their data usage counter at the start of each billing month. Its a pretty poor offering from Apple (Android have long had the option to automatically do it as well as warn and then halt a phones data usage at user set levels). If you do this you can see which apps are using how much data each month.
As for past data, Optus have realtime access to your current monthly usage. You'll need to contact them to ask them to look at it (They can at least see when the data was consumed). Otherwise wait for the bill and you can see it there.
Thanks for reaching out to us about this.
We'd be happy to look further into your data usage for you if you'd like to PM me your full name, mobile number and date of birth as well as your okay to access and view your data usage.
How often does Optus updates the usage on dashboard ? The reason I ask is because I'm on my last day before the data resets and Optus dashboard still shows that I have 2.7GB left but according to my Android phone I have less then 1GB left. Thanks.
The update is usually pretty immeadiate.
Note that Optus now provide uncounted data for a number of activties (usually watching shows, music etc.) So your phone might show higher usage than Optus shows.
The main data usage screen will not include unmetered content. I believe if you look at the data usgae buy app screen it will include unmetered usage.