Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Bron357
New Contributor

Unauthorized Content Services - angry

Hi, just got my mobile bill and I have a series of content charges for “Quizmania”, a weekly fee of $9.08 totaling $36.32.

However, I did not ever authorize these charges, I have no idea how I started getting these charges or what they are for.

so, I try and ring Optus during normal business hours - sorry we are too busy to take your call. Call back or contact us via Chat”. So I log into “chat” - sorry we are too busy to chat to you?

what the @@@@@@

im a customer of over 15 years, multiple services and I can’t even wait in a queue for an hour to get this sorted!

how do I stop this unauthorized content that I never asked for, never wanted and never used! I never gave my authority for these charges. Very angry at Optus.

thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Content Services - angry

You've been scammed, while its annoying you can't get through to Optus straight away its probably the scammers you should be angry at, not Optus?

Read this thread for actions to take.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Bron357
New Contributor

As an Optus customer with unauthorized charges on my account it is reasonable for me to expect that I can contact them, relatively easily, to fix this problem. My anger at Optus is that even though I spent 5 hours, yes 5 hours, trying and retrying to contact them by phone or by chat - it was to no avail.

Optus is also responsible for allow these scammers to charge my account with my permission. As I discovered by accident, Optus chose to set my monthly spend for these 3rd party Services at $200 a month. I didn’t even know I had this facility on my account. Optus knowingly facilitates these scammers behavior, otherwise why wasn’t my limit $0 ? Meaning  IF I wanted to subscribe to 3rd party services, I would have to be proactive and change my account limit to allow it to occur.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Preching to the choir. Smiley Happy

FWIW there are legitimate Premium SMS providers and the terms and conditions for the facility are all in the contract you signed when you joined the plan. Not reading the contract (like all of us) doesn't suddenly make Optus responsible.

That said, people have been calling for years for Optus to make this facility optin, not optout. Optus management do have significant moral culpability in as you say, facilitating (and profiting) from this scheme. in days gone by Optus actually owned more then half the premium SMS services available!

Thankfully Optus have now (finally) put an end to the scam Jan 1 2018 and aside from a few legacy subscriptions the issue will hopefully soon disappear.

On the contacting Optus issues, there does seem to have suddenly been a spike in delay back from the Christmas break. Even the mods here have stopped popping in. Something seems to be going on and I agree its taking a lot of the shine off an increasingly unshiny looking good service badge here at Optus.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hey @Bron357 - thanks for reaching out. Can you please send through your account details, full name and DOB so we can dispute these? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors