cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

RBC
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unauthorised third party charges

I have been receiving SMSs and have been charged via my Optus account by a third party "Tjoover" for a service I did not subscribe for (I don’t even know what the service is or how they got my details!).

As soon as I called Optus, they knew what I was talking about and offered to turn off the function allowing me to be billed through my account like this.

I have tried to do the right thing and pay the fee in reliance on Optus' representation I would be fully refunded by the third party, who would contact me within 5 business days. It has now been 12 days since I called. I have not been refunded or updated as to what is happening. Nor have I been contacted by Tjoover except to receive additional spam SMSs despite responding “STOP” to their SMSs.

I am concerned that Optus allows its customers to be scammed in this way. Why is the default not that such third party "service providers" are blocked unless the accountholder has otherwise consented to be billed through Optus? I am appalled that there are so many complaints about this on Optus forums dating back years and Optus does not take the initiative to protect its "valued" customers. Does Optus get a cut of the fees I end up paying? This seems to be a widespread problem (see the abc news article on 1 August - "Customers compalin of scam charges on phone bills".

I am unhappy with the convoluted complaint process and lack of response from Optus. It was impossible to find an email address to contact which made it a real process to try and keep a written record of my discussions with Optus – especially as I have just been sent from one forum to another, all promising speedy resolution without any result.

I am over 60 and English is not my first language. After receiving no response to my call with Optus, my daughter wrote to Optus to follow up, explaining my problems with getting a response and offering my account details and to provide a signed authorisation to act on my behalf if they could tell us where to send it to. After 4 more days of delay, the response we received was that I needed to personally have a livechat with an Optus representative.

The same issue occurred for my daughter in March this year and took about 2 months to resolve following vigorous follow up over the phone, through livechat and yescrowd.

I just want my money back (and confirmation that there will be no further charges relating to unauthorised third party providers) and to stop receiving spam. I would like to see Optus take some initiative and interest in providing a scam free and privacy compliant service rather than my having to escalate the complaint externally.

Looking forward to Optus’ response and resolution.

10 Replies
Aman_B

Re: Unauthorised third party charges

Hi @RBC, looks like you have been subscribed to a premium service. Could you please PM me here → http://yesopt.us/pmaman your full name, mobile number and date of birth so I can look into this? We may need to have this investigated by the content provider. We can restrict further charges for premium services on our end. Once that is done there won't be further charges. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RBC
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have already provided this information in my previous PMs with Alex RH. However, as requested, I have PMed them to you again.

We are not simply looking to block future unauthorised charges. We called up Optus almost 2 weeks ago now at which point the representative already stated that future third party charges would be immediately blocked and that the service provider would call within 5 business day re a refund.

I thought that Optus already had all the information you are requesting and was told that they were following it up? 

0 Kudos
AlexRH
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @RBC, I've replied to your PM. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RBC
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have received your PM that you are unable to assist and that we somehow need to get an Optus PIN for you the help.

It's been 3 weeks since the Optus representative who my mum called up personally assured us we would be reimbursed and that the third party provider would contact us re this within 5 business days. 

We've been shuttled back and forth without any real response. I agree that privacy is a big deal, but I'm not sure why my providing full account details and offering to provide a signed authorisation by the account holder is not an acceptable solution. Is there a legal reason for this?

In any case, my mum posted the exact same yes crowd post I posted on Sunday using her personal Optus account. This post has mysteriously disappeared. She will respost now and send a request through her account. 

We look forward to having your response with the resolution within 48 hours as per your complaints handling policy. 

fiasma
New Contributor
New Contributor

@RBC .... I have also had the same issue with Tjoover and Optus, both last month and this month.  Can you please let me know how you have gone with Optus.  Their service, for me, has been extremely poor in dealing with this matter.

AlexRH
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @RBC, as mentioned in PM's - we take privacy very seriously.

I do understand that you're giving us the account details, however as you are not the account holder it can be considered fraud to use those details if they are not yours so we would be unable to look into the account further on our end. 

You can find more info on third party authorities HERE. If the account holder would like to add an account PIN or add you as a third party, they can chat with us HERE.

0 Kudos
RBC
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, seems to be a matter of persistent follow up. This happened to me back in March and the issue was resolved through an Optus YesCrowd representative. 

For my mum, I had to assist her in a livechat through her account because she got no responses to her YesCrowd posts from the Optus representatives.

Either way, took a number of weeks.

0 Kudos
RBC
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Also, not sure how privacy is such a big concern when it has been such a nightmare opting out of receiving marketing from Optus' partners, and yet, when it comes to getting a response regarding a scam, providing full details and offering a signed authorisation is not enough.

As a lawyer, I know it is not a legislative requirement and no less a risk of fraudulent conduct that we have to go through the Optus "process" of getting a PIN (which actually only requires the person to provide their name and date of birth on livechat). 

I'm just glad this is sorted for us for now and hope others are able to get their money back without having to continue to escalate to get any response. 

0 Kudos
RBC
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Also, make sure you have called up the Optus help line, explain what has happened and request that all unauthorised third party charges be blocked going forward to prevent future charges.

0 Kudos