Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Bravo
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unauthorised subscription

Hey Everyone/Anyone, I just received an SMS from a number 19789114 stating: FreeMSG: You've subscribed to Thisilike costing you $9.99/ wk Optout SMS STOP to 19789114 HELP 1800793904 I did not knowingly subscribe to anything from Thisilike, who ever the crap they are. Does anyone know what this is and will this start being included on my Optus bill? How can this happen when I did not willingly press any buttons to accept this? Do i need to call OPTUS direct to get this stopped? Is this just a sam waiting for me to OPTOUT? Any information here will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Unauthorised subscription

I thought with the changes as at end of January - that this would no longer happen (unless it was a subscription setup before then).

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

How to resolve/dispute these charges:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/Optus-business-care/Answer?id=9323

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It would be good if Optus could clarify what customers can expect now. @Dan_C @Toomey ?

Thinking about it, these scams are essentially automated (i.e. you click on some ad in facebook and get signed up)

Obviously that malicious code is still in place and there's nothing stopping you getting an SMS like this saying you've been signed up.

However what I understand has changed is the fact that you haven't actually been signed up and nothing will appear on your bill now?

Unfortunately this means the forum and customer service may still get a bunch of irrate customers wondering what is going on. However as many only get really concerned when they see their bill, hopefully numbers should drop.

So moving forward is it safe to give the following advice to Optus customers:

1) Send STOP to the number as requested.

2) You will not be billed unless you directly provide the service with a payment option (e.g. credit card)

3) As a precaution, check your next Optus bill to confirm no payments have been deducted.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@petergdownload is correct. Although these providers may still be able to "subscribe" you, no charges will apply to your Optus account. We can't unsubscribe these services from our end so you will need to message STOP back or contact them directly. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Toomey

I think the main thing here is that Optus still passes your details onto these people through header enrichment etc.

With these "subscriptions" being no longer processed I would expect that Optus would not pass Customer details onto these companies (especially when no billing activitiy can take place).

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Didn't realise there was a direct link like that @Logged-Off. Thought it was mostly mobile phone users where the ad gets the phone number from your phone directly. 

I'd agree that as these 'bills' are no longer being processed by Optus, Privacy Laws should mean no personal information is sent to them from Optus.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Its only going to cause people to call in or use live chat as they received a SMS stating that they will be charged.

By removing this header enrichment and other methods thne this would remove these calls as well.

If i received a sms saying i signed up for osmething for $9.95 a week you would be sure I would want it stopped and removed - first "port of call" - Optus as my phone provider (who actually gave my details to these people).

0 Kudos