Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor KenRa
New Contributor

Unauthorised porting

Hi Guys 

Does Gaining provider or Losing provider has to send a text message to a customer prior to port in/out?

What happens if someone has lost money due to unauthorised port out and which cant be recovered.

who is at fault ? Telco? or ACMA?

Port out scam is around for many years but why customers are not made aware of this scam. Also, why nothing has been done to prevent it? 

thanks 

Ken

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unauthorised porting

No set security as yet (governed by rules set by ACMA)
Optus has security sms check for porting in e.g. Sends sms with code to the number before accepting the port, but this level of security is not mandated (telstra had soo many issues with it, they had to turn it off for a while)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'll add that as far as I know, any security measure implanted by the losing carrier that could potentially delay a port out is not allowed as it contradicts the rules set out by the ACMA. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Ken,

My reading of the relevant code is that Telco's are equally required to not delay a port but also to identify the request has been made legitimately. FYI The no delay clause was created because the Telcos used to play games making it hard for people to port out. Unfortunately it has had the side effect of making the porting scam a major issue. Telcos appear to have ignored the identification side of the equation.

IMO the simplest thing a Telco could do is send an SMS to the phone number that has requested the port as soon as they receive the request. This wouldn't stop or delay the port but would at least give victims a heads up that their phone is compromised and that they should take action. Providing a dedicated phone number to call would probably be a good idea too.

The good news is that the main Telcos have finally started addressing this and are now sometimes requiring more than the bare minimum of information to process a port request. Currently its being done on a voluntary level by the Telco's but will be properly implemented across the board mid next year.

Won't solve everything but its about time. Sorry to here you go caught up in it.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor KenRa
New Contributor

Thanks Sam. I am getting proper answers from you guys than teclo providers.

0 Kudos