Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
GeorgiaDZ
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unauthorised Third party charges

Help!!! What is this! Make it stop! I’ve seen other people’s issues regarding this message after unknowingly  accepting thirparty charges for some website that doesn’t exist but I wasn’t sure if there was an outcome to this. Has Optus blocked third party charges So that this company cannot charge me for some unauthorised sign up ?? I really don’t want to be charged $15! Help!

”FreeMsg: Smartmag costs $15.00 for 1000 mobile content items. HELP:1800793904 aulp.smartmag.mobi/302-2/lpmf.ashx

12 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unauthorised Third party charges

Check if your optus app allows you to switch off premium SMS. Find it under Service Settings/Notifications/Third party

It may just crash. Also in My Account, you may be able to find a button to push. If not contact chat to turn off premium SMS

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

aqua1202
New Contributor
New Contributor

I received exactly the same message after I was looking at a site in facebook. It shows the dresses the ladies are wearing and then says continue and after looking at a couple it changes after you hit continue to purchase and then you get the text message.

very sneaky and not at all appropriate. How can people charge you like this without your authority???

Seanbne88
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for exposing this on the forum, like you I have been a victim too. I suggest you go to tio.com.au to make an official complaint if the issue is not solved promptly. It only takes 5 minuets to fill out a form. My issue with Optus hasn’t been solved after 2 months so I strongly suggest try other ways.

Jebbyannott
New Contributor
New Contributor

I had same experience. Charged from an accidental click. I followed advice on this forum. Contacted Optus via live chat. Requested content services be disabled or limit set to $0. Requested a complaint be submitted and a refund processed.  The operator disabled content services and registered a complaint on my behalf. To my surprise I received a message the next day advising my complaint had been acknowledged and a refund would appear within up to 2 months. I have yet to receive the refund as I only received advice yesterday.  Good marks to Optus for the assistance although better marks if they defaulted content services to $0 and only activated on request. That would save a lot of headaches for all.   The solution was easy. I will follow up the post when I get my refund. 

Battymate
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just contact the accc since this is a scam 

Aman_B

Hi @GeorgiaDZ - Looks like you have been subscribed to a premium service. Could you please PM me Here your full name, mobile number and date of birth so I can look into this? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
aqua1202
New Contributor
New Contributor

I recently received my Optus acct and I had been charged by MIA Sphere Live for this charge. I had the premium messaging service removed from my phone on the way home from work and I also messaged STOP in response to the text that smart mag sent me. 

I contacted a moderator via this site and he is going to reverse the charge for me. Great service Dan.

Appreciate your help. 

I think the main thing is to take action as soon as possible and also remove the premium messaging service. 

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

That's very kind of you @aqua1202 🙂

For anyone else experiencing the same, I encourage you to send us a private message with your account details.

Follow the URL below:

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Ron66
Contributor
Contributor

Don't fret Georgia. It's a scam that Optus is involved in. Don't pay your bill apart from your plan charges. Don't be bullied by Optus bills just pay your plan charges and complain to the TIO. Optus cannot escalate the bill when it is disputed with the TIO. They will back down on the charges ...it's not a problem Optus are in such Sh..t over this they cannot get your money. The important thing is Don't Pay the bill......Regards Ron Grant

0 Kudos