Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sepsl26
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unauthorised Porting of My Number

Hi there, 

I received an SMS today 20 August 2020 "Optus MSG - Hi, we received your Port Out request for this service. If you didn't request your number to be ported out, please call us straight away on 131 344."

I rang the 133 937 and the 131344 numbers around 7pm (which your website says customer service is available till 8pm) but yet I got the message that the team had already gone home.  I tried the *****number and they too were closed. 

I did not authorised for my number to be ported. Could someone please contact me ASAP to address this? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Unauthorised Porting of My Number

Optus only apply lip service to fraud and theft prevention. There's no dedicated number and you'll generally just get through to customer service if you are lucky. Until recently your number would actually have been ported and the SMS you received would simply have been confirmation after the fact.

Now the Telcos have finally been forced to send a confirmation email to the old number first. If you don't reply with a firm YES then the port should fail. So I'd suggest your number is safe. Note it may have been a scammer or it may just be a mistyped digit. Either way you're probably safe to ignore it (The ACCC has your back even if Optus doesn't)
0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload you do realise that Optus HAS to follow the number portability code in regards to porting, so they could not implement their own system before it was approved in the NPC.

The code that is sent via sms is normally required for the gaining provider, not the one that is giving the number away via port, their is no "yes or no"

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@GTFO,

I've never accepted the Telcos implementation of the code. It has (had) two parts one of which was to make the port as fast as possible and the other was to ensure the ID of the port was correct. They (and this isn't just Optus) just ignored part b.

I was a little surprised the Optus SMS didn't include the "Please Respond YES" part of the port process so it looks like this SMS is just a courtesy SMS from Optus. As you say the other RSP will presumably send the "Please Respond YES" SMS. That is an improvement. Simple, proactive and customer focused. It also costs Optus nothing to implement. A move in the right direction.
0 Kudos
sepsl26
New Contributor
New Contributor

@petergdownload 

Yes - the Optus' SMS did not ask for a response. I did receive an SMS from Telstra earlier in the day (before the Optus message in the evening) with a code and link for more information to "transfer to Telstra" - I had thought that it was fake and didn't do anything with it.

So if there is meant to be confirmation and if I didn't confirm on the Telstra side, Optus should not have done the porting - in theory then I should not have received that SMS from Optus? So I'm not sure that my number is safe? 

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Carriers still cannot hold the service or reject the port if the security code and account info matches.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@sepsl26

That's now the legally required steps to make a port. Carriers used to just require a Name, DOB and Phone number and as @GTFO says the port could not be prevented and no warning given (the law back then was written to ensure Telco's didn't make transferring mobile numbers difficult as part of a strategy to force you to stay)

Now days they ask for a little bit more information from the requester and a code or the like is sent to the phone number in question. As mentioned, if you do nothing the port doesn't proceed. So yes your number is almost certainly safe (the phone would have gone dead if the port had succeeded.)

I would still contact Optus when / if you can and just confirm the status.

sepsl26
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you @petergdownload  @GTFO 

🙂 sorted! I finally managed to get hold of someone this morning who could find my account.  At least the number is not going to be ported out of Optus 🙂 big relief!

Still don't know whether it's identity theft or just butter fingers... hmmmm