Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Unauthorised 3rd Party Subscription - Smartmag $10 for clicking a facebook add button

eviemaree

Hi,

I was scrolling through a facebook article and was continually clicking 'next' to go to the next page in the article when all of a sudden, without realising I had reached the end of the content and clicked on a button which then suddenly told me that my 'payment had been successful'. I received a text and discovered I'd accidentally and unintentionally signed up for a subscription by 'Smartmag' which is $15 a month now to be added to my mobile bill.

I tried replying STOP immediately but that hasn't done a thing. 

The 3rd party authorisation of payments must be configured on my Optus account so that these things happen autotmatically. This is now the second time I have clicked on what I thought was an innocent 'next' button and it turns into whopping costs at the end of my month. I did not authorise the payment, had no intention on this payment and also attempted to revoke the permissions immediately but it is too late.

I refuse to pay these additional charges due to the fact that no credentials were entered to authorise this payment. This is deceptive and misleading web content resulting in unauthorised transactions and I request that Optus remove the transaction from my bill and de-activate any third party apps from allowing this to happen again. 

I know nobody from Optus will get back to me about it nor remove the transaction, so if any other customers would know of how to unsubscribe properly from these things that would be appreciated.

Thank you

Solution

Re: Unauthorised 3rd Party Subscription - Smartmag $10 for clicking a facebook add button

kteejane

This just happened to me too! I called the number on the text and followed the prompts to unsubscribe. I found another thread on here as well saying if you speak to the web chat team they can turn off premium texts so this doesn’t happen and can also look at getting you a refund. I just tried but it took ages and wouldn’t connect me to any of the members but it could also be because of the time..

Re: Unauthorised 3rd Party Subscription - Smartmag $10 for clicking a facebook add button

eviemaree

Thanks for your reply! I just did the web chat thing and you're right, it worked. They reversed the charge and blocked the 3rd party app. Hopefully now that 'premium services' is off, then this won't happen again! 

10000000000GB

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-of-scams/buying-or-selling/mobile-premium-services

Was the number that you called to unsub a 190 number?

kteejane

No it was a 1800 number :-)

Slidethat

How do I do this

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
140 Kudos
121 Kudos
120 Kudos
78 Kudos
72 Kudos