Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unable to send text message/SMS

I recently upgraded one of the mobiles I have on SIM only plan to a plan with > data allowance. I know that plan is now active. Since being activated, we can no longer send and receive SMS's on that phone (Samsung S10). I work in tech so think I have well honed trouble shooting capability. What we've tried and what works:

1. Take SIM out of Samsung Android and put into an iPhone. SMS Works!

2. Take another Optus SIM (ie a different phone number) and place in the Samsung phone. SMS Works!

3. Totally reset phone to base. SMS does NOT work 😞

4. Thinking it's a SIM issue, head to the Optus store, pick up a replacement SIM, activate it and put into the Samsung phone. Again SMS does NOT work 😞

Optus Tech support are advising "wait 4 hours to check new SIM activates" well I'd contend it is activated as we can make and receive calls on it. So the only thing I can think of is that somehow the new plan activation has causd a glitch on the back end configration and effectively blocking all incoming and outgoing SMS's. Can't seem to get past Optus Level 1/2 support. Has anyone seen this before. Any suggestions as to how to fix?

Thanks,

Steve 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unable to send text message/SMS

You've proven the fault directly relates to the device itself, so this would suggest it's something to do with the device configuration.

Have you checked the SMSC Number is correct in your S10?

What if you force the phone to 3G only, does SMS start working?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for reponse but no it's not hardware as the phone WILL send and receive SMS with another Optus SIM/Phone number. ie. It seems to be tied to the phone number configuration NOT the device.

Yes have tried dropping back to 3G & SMSC number and the all the usual SMS troubleshooting as per Optus recommended play book. Hence I'm leaning toward back end network configuration and not the device but not getting the right level support from Optus. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

So as suspected, this was a back end phone number configuration. The phone number had been blocked to send / receive SMS. Re-ordering failed to re-activate. Eventually a cluey Optus Customer Service persone tried de-activating and then re-activating. Only then did the orchestration work and SMS capability returned to normal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have the same problem and can't even get the technicians to try what worked for you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there Keld,

It's fairly straight forward to de-activate and then re-activate the SMS provisioning so I'm not sure why the technician didn't do this?

This is not something that we can assist with here on the forum as we don't have visibility or access to customer accounts.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy