Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sigh_optus
Contributor
Contributor

Turning OFF 'Missed Call Service'

This is what Optus says that I should do to turn-off Missed Call Services -

"How to switch it on or off ?

Choose an option! They're all available 24/7 and free to use in Australia.

• SMS: From your Mobile: Text the word ON or OFF to 159
  • Call: From your Mobile: Dial 159 and follow the prompts
  • Online: Simply log into My Account and navigate to 'Settings' "        UNQUOTE

HOWEVER, my every SMS to 159 saying "OFF",  I only get the same text reply saying that there is a technical problem, and that I should try again later.

I began trying to do that "159 - OFF" sms on Thursday morning, and now it is Sunday night.  

I have tried a couple of times each day;  SO WHEN WILL "LATER" BE ??

AND my phoning to 159 leads me through an IVRU which has no prompts that I can find which might lead to "Turning OFF" this unwanted Optus Mobile (mis-)feature.

AND in "My Account", WHERE DO I FIND the 'settings' entry point leading to turning-off "Missed Call Service", please ??

Sigh. !

8 Replies
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Turning OFF 'Missed Call Service'

Hi there, @sigh_optus. Sorry to hear you've had trouble switching off the Missed Call Service feature. To do this via My Account you first need to log in, then go to View Details → Manage → Voice call and third party content settings → Missed Call Service. From there you'll have the option to turn it off. 

sigh_optus
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You - that sounds So simple, but this is where I get to

from "View Details".  ..

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 11.33.03 am.png

0 Kudos
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@sigh_optus Can you please send me a PM with your full name, DOB and mobile number so that we can take a closer look into this?

sigh_optus
Contributor
Contributor

Very kind invitation, but for the moment I shall just wait a bit longer so as to try again, since "a few minutes" now

is far better than four or five days of "try again Later" .. 

I shall PM later myself if I cannot get into those Settings myself, as was helpfully suggested here.

I would observe that Optus could help its Customers to not have to keep banging-on trying at inordinate length to solve seemingly VERY Simple changes ( i.e., to re-set from 'On' to 'Off', somehow ) for themselves, when IF I could have been originally advised THAT was the sequence of access steps, I would not have needed to do all this fiddle-faddling about, now almost a week since.

( My "all this" actually does include my having been unsuccessful in my ringing 159 and listening to the various IVRU options, until I gave that futile activity up, so that I rang and asked a helpful India-based (?) Optus call-centre chap to help me by his re-setting it to OFF for me, which he said he could readily do, BUT which he acknowlegded that at that time that he could not do .. and so he undertook to do simply and quickly,  as soon as he could .. and yet now here I am still only trying to do it, because I had received some more unwanted Missed Call advices some time after he'd said he should have been swithed to OFF .. )

.. sigh, indeed ..

sigh_optus
Contributor
Contributor

Post Script ..

OH,  HURRAH !!

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 12.29.58 pm.png

SO, .. .. Something  IS "Pending" .. but in the meantime, I am locked out .. ?

So, is that requested, impending India-call-centre Re-set what is now still Pending .. and why is this all so difficult ..

On / Off ..

J*W*H give me strength ..

0 Kudos
sigh_optus
Contributor
Contributor

Tuesday 29 May 

still "pending" ..

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 1.26.50 pm.png ..

sigh ..

0 Kudos
sigh_optus
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to SONYA who just assisted me to switch off via CHAT in My Account.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 4.55.11 pm.png

0 Kudos
Jenny11111
New Contributor
New Contributor

Stole this from a Whirlpool thread, and posting here in case anybody else comes looking for this elusive information:

HOW TO TURN OFF ALL OF OPTUS'S GARBAGE

1) Dial ##002# -> Turn off diversions. It works, but only partially.

2) Dial ##21# -> Turn off call redirect. Don't ask me what the difference to the above was.

Now, this is supposed to turn off ALL redirects (below), but Optus STILL didn't want to give up it's useless services! I had to disable them seperately.

So you will need to:

3) Dial ##67#-> Disable Busy redirect. People will NOT GET CHARGED if you're on the phone, and simply get a 'number busy' error.

4) Dial ##61# -> The phone will RING OUT and the caller will NOT GET CHARGED for useless voicemail, which whilst still apparently 'disabled' from above.. Isn't!

5) Dial ##62# -> The caller will simply get a 'phone not available' message, when Out of Coverage area or switched off. No charge-incurring voicemail.

Now, time to turn off useless services like Missed Call Services, which are redundant anyway.

6) SMS 'OFF' (without the ') to 159 -> Disable Missed Call service. You may get an error, but just keep spamming this number over days/weeks and it will eventually work.

7) SMS 'OFF' to 147 -> Disable Call Recall.

After all of this, you will have a fully functional phone without any of Optus's garbage. If you're out of range, busy or not available, people can send you a SMS if they care so much. Otherwise you'll notice the missed call on your mobile without Optus telling you the same thing as an SMS!

0 Kudos