Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
MagicMel
New Contributor
New Contributor

Turn off mobile data when I reach my limit

Can Optus turn off my mobile data when I reach the data limit on my plan so I do not get billed extra for data?

5 Replies
Davelew
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Turn off mobile data when I reach my limit

Hi

The answer is no.  Everybody hates the way Optus automatically charges you another $10 per Gb when you reach your limit but will not give you the choice not to have this option.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
MagicMel
New Contributor
New Contributor

thsnks for the reply. I guess u just have to do it myself. Not very good service.

Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @MagicMel - Sorry you feel this way about our auto top ups. All handsets have the ability to switch your data off once you reach the limit. This gives you more control in the instance if you require data, and need it to be switched back on. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
weissenborn
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus auto top ups is an Optus scam to get extra money from people. Their lawyers have obviously done their research and they know they can get away with the auto top up scam because it's "technically"legal.

On their "My MBB" computer plans there is NO option to turn off auto top ups (there used to be, but Optus has stopped that). You also will be denied opting out of auto top ups if you phone Optus and request that auto top ups not be a part of your agreement.

Why do Optus deny you the right to opt out? Because Optus KNOWS there's about a 2 day delay in updating data usage ..... the data you use today won't display in your "data usage" for about 2 days. That way, if you are close to your monthly data limit, you can easily go over it in the final days without realizing it (easy to do with Windows updates taking up a lot of data) ...... then Optus charges charges you $10 for each single 1 GB that you go over your limit (a GROSS "overcharge").

In years gone by, you had to apply for those extra  GBs, and they were always granted. If you didn't want the extra Gbs then your computer internet access was automatically cut off when you reached your monthly data limit, and you incurred NO extra charges whatsoever ...... Nowadays Optus REFUSES to give you that "choice", because they KNOW they can scam you for those extra unwanted GBs by NOT giving you the choice and thus get more $$$$$$$$$ from you.

It's bad corpotate behaviour from Optus .... yet 100% legal (and they know it and take full advantage of it against their customers).

Dk61
New Contributor
New Contributor

This is still the case even in 2020! why has no one challenged this in court or with the ombudsman I wonder? (talking or asking myself not you lol) absolutely stinks if you ask me cheers
0 Kudos
Top Contributors