Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Travel pack is expensive, any options?

KSN

I’m travelling overseas and need access to data when wifi is not available, and the $10 per day travel pack becomes super expensive. Any other options?

Re: Travel pack is expensive, any options?

Davelew

Hi

Usually the cheapest option is to buy a local SIM card on the country your visiting. A little online research before you go to find the cheapest option.

To contact home use Whats App or similar.

You will need to ensure your phone is not locked to an Australian carrier.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

KSN

Hi Dave, to clarify- I need to receive some calls so I activate roaming on my phone, and don’t have a second phone. Virgin had a good prepaid travel pack based on set amount of data valid for 30 days. Just switched to Optus and find travel options limited.

Davelew

Roaming through most carriers is expensive.  Much depends on who the calls are from, if they are friends and relatives give then you overseas phone number and/or use WhatsApp.  If they are business calls leave a message on your Optus number with the number to call. Not sure if you can change your voicemail message when overseas so may have to arrange a friend to change it for you in Australia when you know your overseas number.

Otherwise an expensive travel pack.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Travel Packs also need to be carefully monitored (set data limits on your phone if you can) as there's no protection for some unexpected run up of data that exceeds the allowance you have. 

You don't state the nature of the calls you want to recieve? You could join something like whats app that uses data only and talk with friends?  

Could you make a set time frame for people to call you (say 3pm4pm each day). Switch your Optus SIM back in for that time?

Why not take the Virgin prepaid option if its good?  Offer has apperently expired. Smiley Sad

But otherwise other options mentioned here all sound good too.

Peter Gillespie

Davelew

I know you have only just woke up @petergdownload and have your first cup of tea in bed, but Virgin Mobile is no longer 😭

Yeldarb

I nearly choked on my crumpet. Smiley LOL

petergdownload

You really think I have the time to keep track of every other two bit company in the Telco industry? Smiley Happy

Well they will be missed (not by me obviously, but some of us)

Peter Gillespie

Yeldarb

I know the feeling Peter as I am waiting for someone to tell me Budget PC closed years ago.

budgetpc.jpg

KSN

Thanks, Dave, Pete. Hoping that our Aust telcos can provide us with a travel solution that is well priced and customer friendly / streamlined. Blue sky thinking. Reaching out to OPTUS to consider extending their product options - they only have one travel product, sigh. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
71 Kudos
71 Kudos
57 Kudos
45 Kudos