Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor annibananni
New Contributor

Transferring number to work phone

Hi,

I have a new job in a big company and one of the perks is a new phone (Optus). However, I already have an Optus mobile account (personal - sim only). Rather than use a new phone number that comes with the phone - (I need to keep my old one for other clients), I want to use my current number on the new handset. 

If I port my number over to the new phone, it means the company will own my number. If I leave the company, will I be able to transfer the number back to me personally, is this difficult?

Is there another way to use my new phone and have it paid for by my company and keep my number? It is a big company so they have a mobile department and so bills would be paid automatically rather than as a petty cash claim.

Thanks, this is my first experience having a company paid phone.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Transferring number to work phone

These are all questions that would really need to be answered by your new employer rather than Optus but here's some info.

You certainly can port/CHOWN your number back to yourself if/when you leave your job, whether your company has polocies/procedures in place to facilitate this is on them (Optus do have measures in place for you). 

Is there another way to use my new phone and have it paid for by my company and keep my number? - Again that's on your company. There's no solution from Optus but I know at my place of work there's a secondary option that's rarely talked about and avoided if possibly where they'll pay your mobile for you rather than own the number/account and pay it automatically. Maybe your employer offers the same? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Congrats on the new job Smiley Happy

Your exact options depend on what the company allows but you shouldn't have any issues.

At this stage probably easiest to just fill out this form and get the accounts department to do their bit and then pop into an Optus store with the ID needed (if any). You reverse the process when you leave the company and they transfer it back to you.

However that's probably not needed when I think about it. You can just stick your current SIM into the new phone. That sorts it. Talk to the accounts department (your boss) about setting up a direct debit of your bill to the company account and your set. That way you keep retain ownership and your company pays the bills.

Peter Gillespie

PS If the SIMs are different sizes you can pop into any Optus store and they swap the sizes over on the spot.

0 Kudos
New Contributor annibananni
New Contributor

Thanks!

I would just transfer the sim over however, I think my company has bundle payment system they use for mobile phones. I mean it's a huge company and they have a department that just manages the mobiles, so I don't think they will pay my bill individually. I can always ask though. Thanks

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah, catching up.

I'd suggest first getting the phone and company setup etc. After that perhaps just set your current phone to forward calls to the new number?

Alternatively talk to the mobile department about how best to transfer your number across. Its possible, just depends how much bureaucracy their is (welcome to a big company)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors