Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Transferring from old mobile using My Prepaid Daily to a new mobile

Hi there, my name is Karen, I'm a disabled pensioner with a 6 yo Sony mobile using My Prepaid Daily for texting & calls, now my Medical Practitioners are asking me to download apps. My Sony mobile doesn't download apps, I come to a brick wall as everything seems to becoming obsolete, so I have bought a new mobile, a Samsung Galaxy A20 & would like to know if I can just register my new phone, how do I do that? & just transfer My Prepaid Daily, just to download a couple of apps. Desperate for help!!!!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Transferring from old mobile using My Prepaid Daily to a new mobile

Generally when switching phone all you need to is just take the SIM from the old phone and insert it into the new one and you are done.

The only two thing to consider are:

1) SIM size differences between the phones. SIM card for many many years have been muti-size and you just pop-out and use the size you need. A Samsung Galaxy A20 uses a nano sim, so you pop out the smallest portion as shown here:

s-l1600

2) Network locked. If your Samsung Galaxy A20 is a pre-paid and it was bought from a carrier other then Optus (or one of their network resellers) then the phone may be "network locked" meaning you cannot use it with Optus unless you pay an extra unlocking fee.

As for downloading an app and using data with the app, that could get expensive on a My Prepaid Daily plan, but you may be able to reduce/eliminate that cost if you use wifi from your home internet instead of mobile data. What type of home internet do you have?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have a pre-paid wi-fi, dongal I use for my laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have a prepaid wi-fi, dongal, for my lap-top.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My new Samsung Galaxy A20 is an unlocked mobile
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

As mentioned just swap the SIM over and boot up the new phone. You can pop into any Optus store and they'll help you with that.

You can also go to many public places and get free data (libraries, Mc Donalds, etc.) turn off mobile data (it in your settings) and connect to the wifi (again they'll help you do that if you ask).

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@karendashfrazer wrote:

I have a prepaid wi-fi, dongal.

So you should be able to connect your A20 to the dongle's wifi just as you do with the laptop.

If you want to use mobile data when you're away from your dongle here are a few things to consider to reduce mobile data usage.

1) Only turn on mobile data when you need it and turn it back off as soon as you are done. Looks like the My Prepaid Daily plan is capped at $5 max per day for 430MB which is easy to blow through if you forget to turn mobile data off and then watch youtube or stream a video.

2) You can't fully control how the phone uses mobile data. Your phone will try and use data in the background (if its not turned off) but you can turn of background data permissions for most (but not all) apps. This is why you always need to ensure mobile data is not turned on unless you explicitly need to use it.

3) Apps are set to download updates automatically by default. You don't want that on because you have no control of when and how large the downloads are.

4) Last time I checked, apps are allowed to download updates when on mobile data by default. You should disable that so that is only allows updates via wifi.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The SIM card in my old mobile is a solid card, not a multi-size card, I have calmed down now, as you all have given me detailed actions to think through, so at present  I'm thinking of using up what I can with the Prepaid Daily Plan as I believe that the Prepaid Daily Plan is no longer available & buy a new prepaid Starter Kit with a 28 day expiry, as I want to retain my mobile no. & then opt for My Prepaid Daily Plus Plan which will give me more data. The new mobile is bigger so I might just grow to like going online with it.

0 Kudos