Searching...

Mobile

Transferred SIM, now I can't get 4g/LTE

Sasaki

Hey there,

I recently upgraded from a Samsung S5 to an S8. I simply transferred my SIM card over. Nothing else.
The S8 is unlocked also.

On my S5 I always had 4G in my current location. No issues at all.
Now, since transferring to my S8, I can not get a 4G/LTE signal at all.
It sits on H+ 90% of the time. Rarely flicking over to 3G.

The network settings are set to LTE/3G/2G (auto) as an option. It is the only option available apart from 3G/2G.

Any ideas?
Thank you very much.

Re: Transferred SIM, now I can't get 4g/LTE

Paddylee

Are you using sms or voice calls?

Sounds like Voice over LTE is not enabled on the handset so its staying on 3g.

Network or call settings should have a volte switch. 

Makes sure thats turned on. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Sasaki

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about there.
And it doesn't seem to be related to the issue. (I don't mean this to sound rude btw)

I have literally just transferred my SIM from my old S5 to a brand new, unlocked S8.
Activated the network settings to auto-connect to LTE/3G/2G.

And nothing.
H+ is the strongest internet connection I get.

I looked for the 'switch' in the settings. Nothing there.

Paddylee
When you DONT have VOLTE activated your phone HAS to remain on 3g When you DO have VOLTE activated your phone can be on 4g all the time. So yes, it applies. H+ is still 3g. As you have stated 4g works on yous S5 it should not be an account issue but a device issue.
Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Sasaki

The phone doesn't have the voLTE option. I checked where it should be, but isn't there.

Highlighted

Paddylee
Connections -> Mobile Networks? Also depends where this phone is from as there are issues with different firmware/software releases and VoLTE compatibility.

Sasaki

No VoLTE option at all.
And the phone was simply ordered as a brand new, unlocked S8 from Kogan.com

I cant imagine that a new S8 has some limiting feature that doesn't allow it to connect to 4G intrinsically. It's a basic standard nowadays.

Paddylee
Kogan sources international stock/models. Technically Optus only supports devices loaded with their firmware for VoLTE. List of supported devices and firmware releases. https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/tp2/VoLTE-support

Sasaki

Well again, I don't expect you to have an answer, but I highly doubt that I can not get access to the 4G network because I bought an unlocked phone with the latest updates from a potentially overseas model.

My last S5 was purchased overseas and worked on the 4G network perfectly fine.

So, now, I guess my main question is: how can I circumvent the issue here? Because I am clearly not replacing an otherwise good 600-700$ phone. I'd rather just change networks if that's the case.

Paddylee

Suggest calling Optus support as there is not much else left.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos