Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor sequence21
New Contributor

Transfer smartphone warranty to a different person

Hey Optus,

I am looking to sell my phone that i have purchased on a 24 month contract. The buyer is asking for a proof of purchase and i was wondering if there is a way i can provide him a proof of purchase of my phone without display my personal information. Such as a generic receipt with the device name, imei and when it was purchased.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Transfer smartphone warranty to a different person

I assume you're selling th phone as is and then paying out the remainder of your contract?

You could direct the buyer to the ACMA phone site  btw

However easiest way to get a reciept is scan or print out your copy and just blank out the personal details you don't want seen.

Do you have an existing reciept / email of the unit?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi

I think you may have 2 issues to think of.

Firstly for a Samsung phone for instance when you sell a phone only the statuary consumer rights for warranty are applicable, not the full Samsung warranty. So a phone with a 24 month warrantely would most likely only have a 12 month warranty..

Secondly I would not be happy to purchase a second-hand phone that had a receipt that had items deleted. Think stolen phone etc. 

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor sequence21
New Contributor

My situation is i want the note 9, and i am paying out my contract. I still have about 12 months left but not enough for the new phone tradeup. which means there should be 12 months left of warranty. I spoke to samsung live chat and they said it is possible, but i would have to write it in a hand written letter which i found weird. 

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Interesting that Samsung told you it would still be covered. I've heard before of people buying a second hand Samsung where they were not covered for 24 months but things may have changed.

Below is what Samsung says regarding warranty for second hand sales:

Warranty Transferability

A. This warranty is provided only to you and is not transferable, however, subsequent owners may have statutory rights to a remedy if the Product is faulty. Please keep your proof of purchase documentations, such as the original sales receipt or the relevant credit card statement. Proof of purchase is required to obtain warranty performance.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors