cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor MinionsRaven
New Contributor

Total Access 18+ is a scam! Subscription without permission!

As soon as my mobile service activated this premium service: Total Access 18+ appears on the list - the very first item! This turned up even before I had time to send off a verification sms and phone call to confirm the phone was up and working properly! What a scam!

Luckily I have not been charged for it - if I did not request that content services (premium services) be barred from my phone, I am sure this scamming company, Total Access 18+, would have charged the account for its bogus auto subscription WHICH I NEVER subscribed to!

BTW - the phone has been activated for my mother who is in her 60's and would never subscribe to any of these bogus services, let alone and 18+ service!

People, make sure when ever you connect a new service with any of the telcos, let them know right away you don't want premium services (content services) on your account linked to your number, or you may find you are auto subcribed and paying through the nose for services you never subscribed to, never used and don't want!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Occasional Contributor Andym72
Occasional Contributor

Re: Total Access 18+ is a scam! Subscription without permission!

I suggest that you raise it as a consumer issue with the ACCC. It takes about 2 minutes online. 

https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/report-a-consumer-issue

Optus are aware that many customers are signed up without their knowledge but are not proactive and try to refer you to the scam provider and make it your problem.

0 Kudos
Moderator Vicky

@MinionsRaven: Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with us. With regards to charge you're referring to above, I can confirm the charge is an authorisation charge that provides you access to content on your service. Our website provides a more detailed break down as below:

"The Total Access 18+ Service feature provides you with the ability to access "age-restricted content" on your mobile phone. "Age-restricted content" includes Premium 195 and 196 prefixed SMS short codes as well as restricted third party WAP content and requests from your Optus Zoo Google browser via your handset."

You can also set your content spend to $0 if you would prefer not to use this feature. Do let us know if there's anything we can give you a hand with, or alternatively, chat to us here →  http://yesopt.us/chat2us.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor

I have on all my services turned off premium services as we do not want to get trapped by anauthorized auto-subscriptions from companies like MobileActive (which has charged my account previously - and which we were able to get a refund from).

I would suggest to everyone who is concerned with these companies to ask Optus (or any of the telcos depending on who you are with) to block premium services from your number - do this even as soon as your new number becomes active.

It is my opinion that Total Accesss 18+ should be an OPT IN and not just pushed on to us - this right here is the problem and is what is making your customers very annoyed and even angry. By pushing it on to us it gives rise to companies like Mobile Active who take advantage of us by auto-subscribing us.

0 Kudos
New Contributor EliseE
New Contributor

Within hours of the OptusAgeVerify Total Access 18+ authorisation appearing on one of my accounts the premium texts started arriving. And arriving. Its been non-stop. They managed to rack up $19 in charges before I could reduce my limit to $0. And now daily I am getting 6-7 text messages per day stating "subscription unsuccessful" from various companies that are still trying to charge my optus account! 

This is ridiculous, how on earth my mobile number managed to get selected for this kind of spamming of malicious charges, and why Optus allows it is beyond me. As a bare minimum, I would expect fraud filters to pick up the unusual activity given that Optus has 15years+ of my transactions on file! 
I'm furious that the Age Verification  has happened without my consent or opt-in, and even more furious that it has opened the door for these malicious fraudulent transaction.

New Contributor

I was so angry with this and the lack of a proper response from Optus, I wrote directly to Singtel. If you find Optus is not giving the support you expect I would urge you also to write to Singtel and make a complaint. They will forward your corrospondence onto the correct people (not robots that have no idea what they are talking about) and the problem will be fixed up for you. Demand that those numbers are blocked from your number and that those numbers/texts can no longer reach your phone.

Good luck! PS - Optus had promised to stop these kinds of auto-subscriptions without our permission - it would seem Optus still has a long way to go.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors