cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

RichardBloke
New Contributor
New Contributor

This happened to me

Because I live in an area where I can’t get a strong network signal I conducted a bit of research. That research indicated that wifi calling is a good option and further research resulted in reading about the Optus wifi talk app. My android phone was compatible ie version 4 and more recent. I have very good wifi in my house. So off I trundled to the nearest Optus store and I pointed out to the salesperson my requirements ie low to zero network signal and using my home wifi and in particular using the app wifi talk instead. Yes this would be a good solution said the salesperson and so I signed up for a one year contract. When the mobile sim was activated (this took more than 6 hours porting from my previous provider) I tried repeatedly to install wifi talk. Imagine my consternation when I kept getting an error message saying I wa not an Optus customer and couldn’t complete the install. This was even though “yes Optus” was showing in the menu bar. Several live chats with Optus tech people lasting several hours in total concluded that I was on a ‘new system’ and that it was not possible to connect to wifi talk. One bright tech boy even uggested that one solution was to buy a new mobile from the Optus store. This was the ONLY reason I took out a contract so I could overcome continual  drop outs. My question is simple. I want to cancel the contract because it was mis sold, should I have to pay a penalty?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: This happened to me

In simple terms no. You are not cancelling the contract, you are returning a broken service for a refund.

Oz law states products must be fit for the purpose they are sold for. If you would not have purchased the product had you known that a specific feature was broken then that is classified as a 'major fault' and you are entitled to decide on a placement, repair or refund. 

In this case a refund is the only obvious option. Optus have said the wifi talk is not operational so I'd simply as for the contract to be cancelled and any money paid so far to be refunded. OPtus should be ok with that.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hey @RichardBloke

This really shouldn't be an issue. I'll conduct a quick coverage check from my end, If I can see that you're in a low-marginal coverage zone, I'm happy to put through the request.

Can you send your account details through to → http://yesopt.us/pmdan. I'll need you to fill out the template below:

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N

Your full name:

DOB:

Mobile number: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RichardBloke
New Contributor
New Contributor

Richard xxx

xxx

my address is:

xx

you will see that I am in a very low coverage area although I fail to see whether this has anything connected to my gripe. I was mis sold a product and I want to cancel without penalty. 

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

I get that, that's not what I was trying to say. If you're in a low coverage zone, that's enough to warrant a coverage release. I just have to cover all bases on my end. It's really just something I'd leave as a justification for processing the cancellation.

i.e. customer in low coverage zone, customer was told they'd be able to use the WiFi talk application

I need your info send via private message → http://yesopt.us/pmdan.

- I've edited your post as it contains your personal details. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RichardBloke
New Contributor
New Contributor

edit - personal details. 

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hmm, is the link not working? 

I'm going to send you a private message. Can you let us know if that's flown through to your end. 

0 Kudos