cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor CNC
Occasional Contributor

Third party charges scam

I called up Optus 3 weeks ago now to report unauthorised third party charges by "Tjoover". I don't know who they are, what service they provide, or how they got my account details. Despite responding STOP to their SMSs, I have continued to receive illegal spam contrary to the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). 

On this call, the Optus representative assured me I would be fully reimbursed and that I would contacted by the third party provider within 5 business days. I paid the charge Optus was charging me on behalf of Tjoover in reliance on this represention.

More than 5 business days later, when I got not response, my daughter followed up with Optus for me. After 2 more weeks of back and forth with 2 different Optus representatives who double handled the issue, we received the response from AlexRH that he could not assist because we need to get an Optus PIN for the complaint. 

I understand the importance of privacy, but is there a legal reason why you cannot assist despite my daughter providing my full account details including date of birth, and offering to send through an authorisation letter signed by me? 

Further, as the third party unauthorised charges issue has been an issue (according to Optus forums) for years now, why isn't the default position that third parties cannot charge Optus customers through their Optus accounts unless the customer expressly consents to charges being incurred this way? Does Optus receive a commission from these third parties? How do these third parties get my account details in the first place? Please confirm that Optus has complied with its privacy obligations and has adequate data security systems in place to protect our personal information.

It has been 3 weeks since I was first given reassurance I would be refunded within 5 business days. I would like confirmation that I will be refunded and that I will not be charged any charges by third parties without my express consent to Optus in future.  

I look forward to hearing re a resolution within 48 hours as per Optus' complaints handling policy.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Third party charges scam

Optus/Telstra sends your telephone number to affiliate web sites, as you browse. It gets money from helping them scam you.

You turn the problem off, by changing your premium SMS spend to $0, either in settings of your account, or using chat.

You will get reimbursed if moderators find this thread, but they may take a while. You will be asked to supply your details to one of them.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Billing/Avoiding-premium-sms-scams/m-p/292431#M965

Occasional Contributor CNC
Occasional Contributor

Re: Third party charges scam

I spoke to someone on livechat who seems to have resolved the charge this time.

Not happy with the amount of effort it took to get a real response though.

On a related note on sharing of our personal information, not happy with the recent changes to the privacy policy, the obscure email that didn't really explain what the changes are, and the terrible opt out process rife with technical issues. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors