cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor JJones
New Contributor

Third Party scam?

Does anyone else find that they are getting charged for third-party content services that they never signed up for? It's happened to me three times this year -- I've been charged for services I didn't ask for three times -- and Optus just fob me off by saying, 'go speak with the third party about your problem'.

I have a contract with Optus. And the bill I pay comes from Optus. How can they just charge me extra and say it's for a Third Party service I signed up for, when I didn't even know about it (i.e. I NEVER signed up for a Third Party service)?

Is this just a giant scam?

t

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Third Party scam?

Hi @JJones,

It seems that you've been subscribed to a premium contents / services. Well, you need to coordinate with Optus Care to block those charges from your account. They can also file a query log on your behalf so that the 3rd party company can call you after 2 business days to discuss where the charges originated and also if there's a possible refund. It is not Optus who charge you those amounts..

You can check more details about premium SMS/Contents by clicking here.

I hope this helps!

-------------------
My answers are just my opinions. It doesn't represent Optus or any of it's staffs.
Click Kudos if you find it helpful, and please mark it as an anwer if your problem has been resolved! 😉

-------------------
Click Kudos if you find it helpful, and please mark it as an anwer if your problem has been resolved! 😉
RetiredModerator Meg
RetiredModerator

Hey JJones, Xenomorph has provided some great info on that Premium Service. If you do need help with details of the charges and disputing them with that provider just chat us  your service info and we'll give you a hand.

With these types of content they can be subscribed to via hitting in App links such as adds or via pop-ups from a browser link on your mobile. Meg

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Kajumpi
New Contributor

Hi,

I am also so upset that Optus let third parties charge me through my Optus account. I am sending a complaint to Optus and thinking of bringing this matter to TIO.

CHT

Moderator Casey_

Hey @Kajumpi, direct carrier billing is a legitimate way that third parties are able to easily bill users for services, there should be a process where you've agreed to terms and conditions before any charges occur though. Where this hasn't happened, we're able to raise a dispute with the service provider to discuss reversing the charges. We are also able to set your content spend limit to $0, essentially blocking any further Premium SMS from charging you, alternatively you can manage your spend yourself in My Account, more info can be found here → http://bit.ly/2ibEOEg. If you would like us to assist you, please send us a PM with your mobile number and DOB for privacy.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor CNC
Occasional Contributor

I called up Optus 3 weeks ago now to report unauthorised third party charges by "Tjoover". I don't know who they are, what service they provide, or how they got my account details. Despite responding STOP to their SMSs, I have continued to receive illegal spam contrary to the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). 

On this call, the Optus representative assured me I would be fully reimbursed and that I would contacted by the third party provider within 5 business days. I paid the charge Optus was charging me on behalf of Tjoover in reliance on this represention.

More than 5 business days later, when I got not response, my daughter followed up with Optus for me. After 2 more weeks of back and forth with 2 different Optus representatives who double handled the issue, we received the response from Optus that they could not assist because we need to get an Optus PIN for the complaint. 

As the third party unauthorised charges issue has been an issue (according to Optus forums) for years now, why isn't the default position that third parties cannot charge Optus customers through their Optus accounts unless the customer expressly consents to charges being incurred this way? Does Optus receive a commission from these third parties? How do these third parties get my account details in the first place? Has Optus has complied with its privacy obligations and has adequate data security systems in place to protect our personal information.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

@CNC You should definitely be fully reimbursed for any unwanted charges. I can assist with this if you send me a private message with your phone number, full name and DOB.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor sam_shri
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have been billed by Third Party Content provider called MIA Sphere for last 6 months without my explicit consent. I have paid $136 per month totalling $500 plus. I only recently saw the bills and was shocked.

When I discussed this problem with Optus (Chat) it was very dissapointing as Optus was not taking any responsibility for their partnership with these content providers.

I had never asked Optus to provide this Credit faciltity for my Account. Optus had provided this Credit facility by default and without my explicit consent.

Though being a credit provider to these Third Party contenet providers, Optus is not taking any responsiblity in refunding disputed services (Credit provider has a responsibility to resolve disputes).

On the other hand Optus has the audacity to propose that I have to talk to these providers myself directly, when Optus is the one that has been paying these Content Partners of Optus.

I will have to talk to the Telecoms Ombudsman if Optus does not refund the billing and supports such fraudulant service providers and partners.

Regards,

Samir

0 Kudos
Moderator Ev_

Hey @sam_shri, sorry to hear about the Premium SMS content service. I'd suggest jumping onto live chat to get this looked into. You'll need to advise the agent to set your Premium SMS spend control limit to $0.00. This will prevent your account from being charged by third party content providers in the future. You can also request us to raise a dispute on your behalf. They generally have two business days to get back to you. This link has more info on blocking and disputing premium service charges. 

0 Kudos