cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thinking of moving from Telstra

I’ve been with Telstra for 6 years and found mobile coverage to be consistent across Australia and reliable in most populated regional areas. 

My phone contract is now ended and I was just going with a BYO sim only plan however Telstra have recently removed the family data sharing feature so we can no longer share our mobile phone data accoss our tablets. 

I see that Optus still offers this feature and the monthly data allowance is greater than Telstra for a similar monthly fee. 

My question is what has been your experience with mobile coverage both in the metro and regional areas? 

Many thanks 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking of moving from Telstra

I would stay with Telstra if coverage is important.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for that advice. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I might be tempted to look at Optus sim only data plan for the tablets but if coverage is the most important factor then I would stay with the big T. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi

I think it depends on what you mean by regional areas.  I travel a lot in the winter months in my caravan using an Optus Sim. Along the eastern coast very seldom do I find myself in a populated area without Optus coverage. Inland between towns will often lose the coverage but once nearing towns coverage returns.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus is fine in the cities. Obviously some regional areas. In general you can always just go a bit further bush if you have Telstra. 

If you want to do any tests yourself just grab a cheap prepaid SIM and check out some areas yourself.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for your advice...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor