Searching...

Mobile

The regulator cometh

petergdownload

So Telstra are continuing  their refunds to premium SMS victims. $9 million to date, although having pocketed $60 million I guess they're not too upset.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/telstra-refunds-9-3-million-to-thousands-of-customers-2018...

A small paragraph to the end States There is at least one other large telco that has used a similar billing arrangement currently being looked into by the regulator. 

No prizes for guessing who. I do wonder why Optus don't take the hint and try get in front of this. Come out and announce your sending letters to done customers you've identified as possible having issues. Do just enough to make the ACCC look silly announcing some enforcement. Probably get away with less than $9 million?

Just a suggestion though

Peter Gillespie

Re: The regulator cometh

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

I think if Optus was fair dinkum about not leaving their customers exposed to these shifty companies they would have turned premium services off by default. I do believe I read somewhere that Telstra actually has a 2 factor authentication process where Optus only has the 1.

Paddylee

Yawn.....

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Third-Party-content-closure-for-Optus-Postpaid-and-Prepaid/ba-...

More yawn...

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Yeldarb

"some Third Party Content Providers" 

Paddylee

Bit of reading is all you need.

If you’re an Optus Postpaid or Prepaid mobile customer, you can still subscribe to and pay for content via your Optus mobile bill or get payment deducted out of your Prepaid credit, provided the Third Party Content provider is on the list of approved providers set out below.

• Netflix
• Spotify
• Microsoft and Xbox store
• Google Play (Post-paid customers only)
• Fetch
• Optus Sports
• One-time third party purchases (e.g. charity donations, TV voting and competitions)
• Other Optus content

If you’re an Optus Postpaid or Prepaid mobile customer but the Third Party content provider is not on the above list of approved providers, then you are not able to charge one-off or subscription purchases to your Optus bill or have them come out of your Prepaid credit.  You will need to purchase such content using other payment methods provided by the Third Party Content provider, such as PayPal or credit card payment.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Yeldarb

This promise by Optus has been made before as commented on by Peter and Dan in the same thread. Mia Sphere in particular continues to be a problem hence my comment "some Third Party Content Providers" .

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
72 Kudos
59 Kudos
44 Kudos