cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor RoniNeedsHelp
New Contributor

Text message claiming to be Optus

I have just received this text from someone claiming to be Optus. I have been an Optus Mobile customer with the same number since 2000. My last contract expired about 3-4 months ago. Should I pursue this or is it a scam? Thanks.

*IMPORTANT* We had a problem verifying some of the information supplied for your Optus mobile service and we may terminate your mobile service(s). Confirm now: https://optus.team/id/MDQwMDAwMDAwMA==
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Text message claiming to be Optus

Its a phishing scam that tries to sucker you into logging in to the a fake optus website to steal your username and password.

They are a bit sneaky with this one. If you try and check if its a real domain by going directly to "optus.team" they will redirect you to the real optus "yesopt.us" portal. 

If you click on the link it will show you this:

optus scam.png

which is clearly a fake optus login screen.

Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi
Thiss is a scam. If you look at the link it reads optus.team. Optus links should be optus.com.au

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Thanks Dave, appreciate your reply 😁
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks for your help! 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc ,

While the "in to" is a bit dubious I'm not sure what gives you the confidence this is obviously a fake login? 😀 Seems a pretty good forgery to me.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The first sign for me was the that fact the login took up the entire page.

The second was that it just looked too basic, no box around the email/password fields, no "Forgot your email/password" prompts, the log in button was page wide and a few other things as well, and that's without doing a direct comparison against the real login page.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

All good indicators. I was just going on your image which seemed a good pop up.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Top Contributors