Searching...

Mobile

Tell Us: Foldable Phones

[ Edited ]
Optus

Robots haven't taken over the planet and we're yet to see any flying cars unlike The Fith Element. We are however, potentially starting to see the next step in the future....foldable phones.

Huawei mate X.jpg
Huawei Mate X Demo - TR - Foldable phones look set to be the big new smartphone trend of 2019.

What are your thoughts on foldable phones? Do you see them changing the landscape of portable working/gaming in the future or simply a gimmick? 
@petergdownload @MiCCAS @SamSam @Yeldarb @Ray_YC @AlistarS @Jeneral_Pain @SillyGogo @Davelew 

Re: Tell Us: Foldable Phones

Paddylee

The price is the major negative for me - 2-4k for a phone!

First gen products - its best to wait until the 2nd or 3rd gen device is out, manufacturing costs should be lower etc.

I had a sony erricson phoen that had a screen on the front, then open it up and it had a screen on the inside - magic!

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Davelew

Trying to see the positives of owning a folding phone.

Perhaps useful for a long commute on public transport each day with a bigger screen to stream you tube and movies or play games.

Otherwise at home or work you would have another device with a larger screen.   If you travel for work you would still require a larger device so not really an advantage in hotels and for those, like me, travelling for pleasure I always have a notebook and an ipad in my possesion.

Cetainly not for me and I think my wife would divorce me if I shelved out the sort of money being asked.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Ray_YC

If they are still cool enough today for these legends, they are cool and no gimmick to me Smiley Wink

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Paddylee

"Moto Razr" is making a return, so ill be keeping an eye out on this.

https://www.cnet.com/news/forget-the-galaxy-fold-and-huawei-mate-x-the-motorola-razr-is-the-foldable...

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

AlistarS

Yeah I'd agree @Paddylee  the outright cost for the upcoming devices are pretty steep and like you said, best to wait for a 2nd/3rd gen once the bugs/teething problems have been raised.

I love the nostalgic feeling for the old flip phones like the Moto Razr that you mention, it would be ideal to have the same device with a larger retina display. 

Has anyone on here used a surface pro or something similar with the tablet/laptop functionality? Could be something similar without the cellular option.

Are you going to bring that look back for 2020 @Ray_YC ?

Highlighted

Yeldarb

There were many reasons the old flip phones were painful and I certainly wouldn’t buy one no matter how cheap it was. Imagine the mechanics of using something like that all day. Yikes!

Paddylee

Many years ago I had a Nokia E7, so far it was the best built phoen I have ever owned, woudl love that form factor back.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e7-3545.php

Perhaps switching out the physical keyboard and replace with a folding screen, id buy that Smiley Happy

petergdownload

It does seem like a product waiting for a purpose. They've got TV screens you can rollup into a tube now but I haven't seen many want to pay the premium - mainly because 99% of the usage will be sitting flat against a wall. 3D Tvs were the same as well. Everyone tried out the glasses once or twice and then promptly went back to watching 2D. Even essentially mandating 3D by only selling models with it enabled couldn't get 3D over the line. 

So you could say I'm sckeptical Smiley Happy The big question is if people who are now used to having several task specific items see value in combining them. Generally this process means trade off in the strengths of both individual devices with little functional gains other than the 'gimmick'. Most people are happy commuting etc. with just a big screen phone.

I'd say the jury is still out. Gimmicks are great so long as they don't cost much. If foldable phones are going to be a thing then they need to actually do something we can't already do.

Peter Gillespie

SillyGogo

Looks great but the prices could be better. Not sure where I will be using such device. While out an about I like something small and light. Would be hard to use the phone in hands-free mode (https://dissolve.com/stock-photo/Woman-headscarf-driving-cell-royalty-free-image/101-D943-17-873)

At home when I am consuming media for short period of time, read the news then I like a big screen like an ipad. When watching a movie or netflix then I will be using the big TV or projector.

So having a semi-big/small screen with the foldable screen isn't for me. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
75 Kudos
62 Kudos
54 Kudos
49 Kudos