Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor cbm311
New Contributor

Suspicious call

I had similar experience with this guy. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Suspicious-call/td-p/391982

I got a call, a lady saying she is from optus, and my contract is ending so she will give good offer. 

She knew my name, phone number and DOB without year.

And then to verify me she wanted know year of DOB.

Then I remembered that some phishing fraud have incomplete information about a person and they call them to find out other information. Like this case. 

It was very suspicious, as i searched the number 02 80490847 but nothing came out clearly saying this is optus. 

I said how do i know you are from optus, she didn't answer but she just want to know my Year of DOB. 

I said should i use my account number other than Year of DOB - said no . 

What a suspicious conversation it is lol

And then she seemed get angry and intimidate me if i dont give DOB then I will lose my good offer. 

Ok. I lost my offer so I think it is the best time to move other company .

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Suspicious call

Assuming it was scam meaning it had nothing to do with Optus (other than the scammers somehow knew or guessed you were an Optus customer) then why would you take your services away from Optus based on this call? Optus did nothing wrong and I can guarantee you Telstra, Voda and plenty others suffer from the same sorts of scammers. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It sounds legit. Unfortunately Optus continue to make cold calls to customers and start by asking identification details. Why a telecommunications company in this day and age is encouraging it's own customers to hand out private details is beyond me. It's also so unnecessary.

A sales call could be made to offer a new special without disclosing private info. The sales person just needs to only speak in terms of the new offer. If the customer data yes the then email details to the registered email address (without disclosing it)
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That does sound poorly handled, cbm111. Good on you for being cautious. The caller should prompt you to provide your personal details and then it's up to you to say them.

I can confirm by the number you've provided that it was a legitimate call from Optus. I dialled the extension version and it goes straight to the Optus Sales number voice recording.

If you are indeed near to or off contact you can contact Optus directly and be confident the same offer would still be available if you decide to stay.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Ray_YC wrote:

The caller should prompt you to provide your personal details and then it's up to you to say them.

!!!WRONG!!!!

You can not seriously expect people to give out their personal details to an unsolicited call.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I think that was the point Ray was trying to make. IT'S UP TO YOU to say them as in if you don't want to, then don't and the operator should push you any further.

There needs to be a better way for these sorts of campaigns to be run, not just for Optus but for any company calling customers

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I think the answer is most likely technical and that can take a while to integrate into a complex system. The customer service should be able to have a conversation that doesn't involve breaching privacy. Same as if they just rang a random person. Possibly a double blind method (Where someone in Optus tags accounts to get a specific special and then passes only the details on to the sales person (Name, Mobile Number, New Offer Details)

Ray says the offer should still be available if you just ring up but I'm suspecting that's highly unlikely. I can't envisage a customer service accepting your word that you got offered a better then market rate deal.

If Optus could load this new deal into the mobile phone app or the online MyAccount so you could just be directed to an official contact point instead of having to take the gamble that you have been called by Optus.

But just because its hard to do shouldn't mean Optus just decides its more important for them as a business to have cold call sales than it is to protect their customers accounts from possible fraud.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Easily remedied. As already suggested. CS should contact the customer confirm name and address, advise of offer, email the offer.
As for what Ray has said about the offer still being valid, for all intents and purposes of OP calls back and a valid offer was made the original sales team member should have record of a call having been made recorded in the system so easily verified.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"the original sales team member should have record of a call having been made recorded in the system"

That's the bit that seems a bit variable. Maybe too hard to type all those details in and better to just move onto the next person on the list? Be interested if the OP could contact Optus and tell us if they can indeed find the original offer in the system.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors