Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Louann
New Contributor

Suspicious Caller

I've recently received a call from the number 07 3152 9002, an indian caller saying he works for Optus. Started asking me what plan am I using, how much do I spend per month, how many GB of data the plan provides, and what billing company am I using. He continued saying that Optus is changing their 2G & 3G into 4G and asking me to upgrade or something. And before I can respond, he hung up. I reckon this is a scam. Will Optus be liable? Because ever since I started using this number, I've been receiving extra charges for third party subscriptions (which had been solved). And now scam calls?! I am certainly not happy with this service.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Suspicious Caller

Hi,

I'm from AGL, The Commbank, Telstra, Westpac. Can you give me you pasword?

Now you have four other organisations to hold accountable Smiley Wink

Yes Optus (and I suspect all Telcos) are complicit in fraud by the way they provide Premium SMS services. But that's not something that anyone has been able to prove yet. 

If you get called by scammers, well that's just the modern world. I would suggest signing up to the government donotcall registry. Won't stop India calling you but will stop a lot of local nuisance calls.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Several websites report this number as a scam however the fact that Optus use foreign call centres makes it difficult to distinguish the difference between scammers and genuine support staff simply by the way they sound. I would highly recommend that you never give out any information to anyone no matter how genuine they may sound. If you wish to make an enquiry about a possible special or promotion I would look their phone number up yourself and give them a call.

I can't comment on any connection between the third party charges and possible scam calls as I don't know what information you have given out to them.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Oops forgot to refresh Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Fred7447
New Contributor

Just as a note, I have been receiving calls like this for some time and usually I ask them to verify my Router's IP address and they quickly hang-up.

I received one today, however, that was a little more freaky. They claimed to be from Optus stating that they are terminating my internet connection... the usual buzz only other times they have claimed to be from Telstra, and prior to that they would normally claim they were from Microsoft. The scary part was that the caller ID shown on my phone this time was the number of an associate of mine, hence my regular call screening did not work. I'm not sure how they managed this one but perhaps they are using some kind of back door to the NBN. Does this mean that the NBN cannot be trusted??? Who is responsible for allowing these calls through and providing access to the Austrialian phone network?  Also, where are they getting the numbers from, i.e. is there an overseas black market for Australian phone numbers and personal data to be shared between call centres, legitimate or otherwise? Makes you wonder about other overseas call centres also. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors