Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
crystalamturner
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Suspending Service

So, I know this question seems be frequently asked, however I have three questions regarding this.

1. I have a mobile and mbb on my account. If I suspend the service and pay $5.50, does it suspend both services, or do both have to be suspended individually and pay $11.00 for both for the 90 days?

2. If I were to re-suspend the services after 90 days, does it keep the service suspended, or is it activated then resuspended and is there subsequent pro rata for that?

3. I read that during the contract term, you can only suspend the service three times. For my mobile and mbb service, the plans on the new month to month, however the device payments are on 36 months. If I can suspend it a maximum of three times, does it go by plan or device payment terms?

Thanks guys
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Suspending Service

Hey there crystalamturner,

Here is what needs to be advised to a customer when they have requested a temporary suspension of their mobile service:

• Suspending a service when in contract will extend the contract length.
    • Example: You suspend your service for 21 days while on holiday. Your contract end date will be extended by 21 days
  • The monthly access fee will not be charged during the suspended period. Instead there will be a charge of $5.50 per billing period
  • When the service is suspended, a pro-rata credit will apply on the next bill. This is for the monthly access fee that's charged in advance and is from the suspension date to the end of the billing period
  • When the service is restored, the monthly access fee will resume and a pro-rata month in advance charge will apply. This is from the date of restoration to the end of the billing period
  • Device repayments will continue to charge at the normal monthly cost. Credits built into the plan that offset the handset will continue during the suspension
  • Bolt-ons, such as insurance and Optus Sport will continue to charge and function as normal during suspension, and will need to be removed if not required

Important: If insurance is removed, it cannot be added back onto the service when the suspension is removed. Insurance can only be added at the point of sale. 

So,

1) It is $5.50 per service, so if you suspended both Mobile and MBB it would be $11.00/billing month. You can keep one active if you wish.

2) It has to be reactivated and suspended again, no pro-rata would apply if you timed it to suspend again on the day it is set to reactivate.

3) If you're on a month to month plan it sounds like you're off contract so there shouldn't be a maximum of three times you can suspend, device payments continue on as normal when a service is suspended.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
crystalamturner
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, thanks for your response.

Just so I’ve understood, when you suspend a service, your device payments, insurance, and accessories, etc, continues, but in place of the plan, it’s $5.50?

So even though the devices are on 36 months that came with the month to month plan, because the plans are month to month, I can suspend the service as much as I want because the plan is what they go by?

Also, does Jarvis allow services to be reactivated and resuspended on the same day?
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That's right, $5.50 for a full billing month. If you suspended it half way through, pro-rata applies.

Yes, those are the current eligibility rules as you are not in a contract. You'd potentially have plenty of pro-rata bills though, it's very rare for a customer to frequently suspend their service(s).

That I can't answer for certain as I don't/can't do service changes but I couldn't see why not, you can ask at the time of requesting suspension 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos