Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Tstaadt
New Contributor

Suspected Spam sms message from Optus.

I recently received a sms message from +61 435 868 238 indicating my Optus account is overdue $13.67. To avoid having your service suspended, please update your payment details: https://payments-optus.com/cust?id=61401279809&amount=1367 - or log into your Optus Account. Yours sincerely, Optus Billing Team. 

I clicked on link ink and it went right to a credit card update.  I did not update any information  

I believe eve this is a scam. My account isn’t over due. 

Anyone else get this?  How do I report this to Optus?

thank you. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Suspected Spam sms message from Optus.

This is definitely a scam. It goes to payments-optus.com rather than optus.com.au .

You can report it to Optus by forwarding the email to abuse@optusnet.com.au .

Also, Is that your mobile number in the link? If so you should remove it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes it's a scam as that domain was registered 4 days ago to someone with private rego in Panama. My advice would be to never click on an sms or email link no matter how genuine it may seem. These sorts of scams unfortunately are a daily occurrence so you must stay on your guard at all times.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I would double what Yeldarb says. You should never be clicking on any links in emails or SMS (especially any that mention logging in or billing etc.). Always go to the site manually and you can check the situation from there.

Good that you posted a query here though. Optus will be aware of it (not much they can do - except perhaps stop using SMS messaging themselves to provide links and surprise bonuses 🙄)

The other thing you can do is always just google a chunk of any suspicious message: "Optus account is overdue $13.67. To avoid having your service suspended, please update your payment details" gives plenty of returns indicating it is a scam.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors