Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Suddenly exceeding data limit

Recently upgraded my phone and plan. Got a much higher data credit with it.

Usually I struggle to use all that credit within the month.

So why have I suddenly, since Friday, had multiple SMS per day saying Ive exceeded my data cap and have had a top up? Then hours later another SMS that Ive used that topup and theyve aded another. I have not done anything out of the ordinary. Certainly nothing that should be chewing through that much credit,that fast.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Suddenly exceeding data limit

Any hint on the phone you purchased and the previous phone? Could be cloud services?

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Dave. I went from a Galaxy s6 on an 8gig plan; to a s8 that came paired with galaxy Tab-A tablet. The new devices are paired on a 16gig plan. I dont stream movies or download music. Mostly just facebook, surf the web, a bit of youtube. Nothing that should be chewing through data like this.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I can feel your pain!

had the same (but with iOS devices) - Optus being completely useless, "must be backup", "must be cloud" - no troubleshooting at all, not understanding that their "data" showed more upload than the devices actually have capacity, data being uploaded while devices were OFF (not standby)

Got Apple to collect diagnostics on my devices, that proved that I hadn't used data and then the Ombudsman fixed that for me.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

It’s always a difficult one to narrow down. Like the previous poster, maybe some sort of internal counting issue? Still as there’s no way you can check how optus’s system my only suggestion would be to investigate what has used data on both devices as you should be able to see what and where this data has gone/been allocated. Being a direct upgrade and in the first month? I do wonder if the new phone has retrieved its backup data from the cloud?? To have a data count issue would be rare as normally data is just data and counted as such.. Apologies I can’t be more help and sadly for me it’ll all be guess work. If you have the patients one could call support and inquire, what information you get could help collaborate a path?

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy