Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Stumped! iPhone Prepaid SIM not working

This is my last-ditch attempt to figure out what the hell is going on before I conclude that my iPhone is a dud.

I have an unlocked IMEI iPhone 6s that I use in the USA with AT&T. (Yes, it is definitely unlocked. I've checked). It has been working fine in the USA.

I come back to Australia once every couple of years and always throw an Optus prepaid SIM in my phone to use while I'm here. I've never had an issue until this time. 

Got a SIM on arrival into Aust early yesterday morning. Got the usual 'it'll take between 15min and 4hrs to activate' from store staff and tech support.  I waited until this morning to see if it had activated. (Restarted the phone).

I'm now on a second SIM without any resolve. Well past the 4hr activation period for the 2nd SIM that I got today.

The 'YES Optus' and signal bars appear on the screen. Optus tech support says all looks ok from their end and that it must be a problem with the handset. This is hard to believe considering it works fine in the US with my AT&T SIM.

I cannot make or receive calls, send or receive texts and 4G data does not work. Essentially, it's only useful on WIFI.

With both Optus SIMS I have: 

-restarted the phone several times.

-performed a backup and restore

-performed a full factory reset

Nothing seems to be working. Help!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Stumped! iPhone Prepaid SIM not working

Any chance you can test the SIM in another handset? A friends or colleagues? 

Given it sounds like you've tried most of the standard troubleshooting only 1 thing is coming to mind although it's a long shot. When a phone is lost/stolen and you have the IMEI blocked, the IMEI is only blocked in the country you made the request in. Is there any chance at all that this handset has been blocked? It'd explain why it's working in the US but not in Aus.

Definitely a long shot I know...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Stumped! iPhone Prepaid SIM not working

Did your issue get resolved? 

0 Kudos