Searching...

Mobile Products & Network

Strange links SMS messaged to me by Optus call centre

CF2017

I was just on the phone activating my new SIM (which wouldn't activate online) and the Optus person sent three suspect looking links to my phone. Could someone please confirm for me if these are official Optus links or if the person at the call centre is trying to scam me? I eventually clicked on all 3 links out of interest. Could someone confirm for me what these actually are?

Screenshot_20170807-143515.png

Image is attached

Re: Strange links SMS messaged to me by Optus call centre

[ Edited ]
Davelew

Hi

I dont know for sure but they sure look suspicious, coud well be a link to a premium SMS service.   Optus sets a $200 limit to premium SMS services so I would use online chat straight away and request they set this limit to zero.

Dave

Paddylee

24-7 manages some of the Optus call centre and online chat support - so this is valid.

e.g. some news articles on their partnership: 

https://www.computerworld.com.au/mediareleases/15600/lenovo-and-optus-select-247-assist-to/

Davelew

Thanks @Paddylee because I would be worried if I received SMS like these.   Surely a company like Optus which goes to some lengths about scams should ensure a company they are in partnership with don't send out these sort of messages.

@CF2017I would still consider reducing your premium SMS spend limit if you are on post paid to stop being unintentionaly signed up to premium SMS sites.  You will see hundreds of posts complaining of this on this forum

Dave

CF2017

Wow thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'll request the premium SMS limit be set to $0. If Optus can confirm this as legit then they really need more credible looking links - anyone with any common sense would say these look very suspect. Hoping an Optus rep can look into this. 

Vicky

Really sorry about the delay in getting back to on this @CF2017. Generally speaking we don't recommend that you click on any links sent either via SMS or email if it looks suspicious or sent from an unknown service. There are a number of potential scams and phishing links that could be a breach to your privacy and security. I'm not 100% sure that this premium content services however if possible I recommend blocking it from your number so stop them from coming through.

If you like we're more than happy to review your content spend and set it to $0 for you. Please chat your details here →  http://yesopt.us/chat2us.

CF2017

Vicky, it'd be nice if you could look into these links as they're from your own call centre rep. I think it's pretty important people know whether they can trust your call centre or not.

Vicky

@CF2017 - I can appreciate that where your concern is coming from with regards to this. If you can chat us your account information via the link I've provided above we'd be more than happy to investigate further.

Post a Reply
iPhone X now available to order

Stock will be limited.Read More

Top Contributors
26 Kudos
13 Kudos
11 Kudos
8 Kudos
7 Kudos