Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Strange Text claiming to be Optus

frostbitten98

I received a strange text with the following:

”Hi Taylor, Optus here. We'd like to ask you 6 questions about your mobile phone experience.

How likely are you to recommend Optus to friends and family on a scale of "0" not at all likely to "10" extremely likely? Unsub @ yesopt.us/unsub“

The phone number is 5678. Quite odd but unsure whether a scam or not. 

Re: Strange Text claiming to be Optus

petergdownload

Probably legit but wouldn't log into any provided link.

Gio to myaccount the normal way and change your contact subscriptions.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

CKBenz

I just received the same message. I want to know if its legit. If it is it seems a poor SMS from Optus. How do we know its legit? 

petergdownload

Frankly you don't. As a general (but not infallible) precaution only ever consider responding to communication that includes some personalisation that isn't your email address  (e.g. Hello Mr Gillespie, Hello Peter,) 

As Telstra recently posted companies these days should not be sending out contacts like these anymore. The net effect they have is just 'educate' customers into believing they should click on links and replay to emails etc. 

This is just what scammers rely on. If you know optus sends out some comunication this way then why wouldn't you click on it when a spammer sends out an identical looking one.

A similar issue is Optus routinely cold call their customers with a special offer. However before proceeding they demand the customer identifies themselves. They have to do this, but again how can a customer tell they're not a scammer? The answer is not to contact customers this way. (My suggestion would be to give them a one time code and direct them to call a Optus hotline or log onto www.optus.com.au and enter it in there.)

FWIW Answering a survey isn't worth the risk to your personal details IMO. Optus won't think it rude you never got back Smiley Surprised)

Peter Gillespie

CKBenz

Peter thanks for your comprehensive reply. I agree with it all..The sad part of it is that this sms is probably from Optus but as you say it is a poor way to engage with their clients. 

Cavaloki

The other solution here is to contact optus directly, using their customer support so you know you're talking to Optus. Then ask them if the text is legitimately from them.

I just got the text this morning and was hoping someone had already found out. I guess I'll call them and see.

petergdownload

Let us know @Cavaloki. My guess is customer service is distaste from special offers and so unlikely to know more than you. Hope fully is something nice though.

Peter Gillespie

Cavaloki

It is Optus, and they're just asking half a dozen "what would you rate our (blank) from 0 to 10?". Just a basic survey; doesn't actually ask for anything other than a number and a reason.

I still wouldn't trust this text without verifying that it is from Optus first.

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

Hey guys, I can confirm that it's a legitimate text message sent by Optus.

We'll never directly email or SMS asking for personal details (that's usually the hint)

You can also see that it has the mailing/SMS opt out short link attached to the end of the message → yesopt.us/unsub

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Thanks,

Until recently a single click on a Facebook link or returning a call from an unknown number was all it took for Optus to start billing a customer $5-$50 a month without notice or confirmation. And that's just the food guys.

I think we're right to be pretty damnation cautious with our details.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
140 Kudos
121 Kudos
120 Kudos
78 Kudos
72 Kudos