Searching...

Mobile

Stolen phone

serafinakw

Hi. My phone was disconnected due to unpaid bills, anyways whilst I was in the process of getting the money for the bill my phone was stolen. Will they be able to replace the handset or will they make me pay the rest of my bill off? I do have insurance .

Thank you

Re: Stolen phone

caaf

If you do nothing then yes the bills will keep coming. What did your insurance rep state when you contacted them?

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Re: Stolen phone

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Not a good run of luck @serafinakw,

I take it you have Optus Insurance?

What sort of phone?

Are you on a lease or standard contract?

This should cover your device but you'll need to pay the $250 excess. Optus Insurance will provide you with a replacement handset (it may be new or refurbished).

You will definitely still have to pay any Optus bills you have incurred up to today. You will also have to pay out Optus for the full handset cost - If you have cancelled your plan this will be in a single lump sum and you will also lose any discount Optus are making on the handset because you are a current customer (usually worth around $0 to $20 a month). If you are still on your contract then you can decide to remain or cancel it (with any exit fees applicable)

Basically, your best bet is probably pay the $250 and get the replacement handset and stay on the current plan. However hard to say without knowing more details. You should definitely talk to Live Chat to get some costs for any decisions.

Peter Gillespie

PS Have you contacted Optus to have them block the phone etc?

PPS For any insurance claim you will need a police report, so go get one of those ASAP

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
75 Kudos
62 Kudos
54 Kudos
49 Kudos