Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
DanJ
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Stolen data? Highwinds?

I have had data disappear from my Optus 4G USB dongle when I had not used the dongle for months. Other people's data has disappeared also.

The last time I used it or checked it, the data had about 70GB on it, probably more.  I put it away and may have plugged it in once or twice but did not do any major downloading.  

When I contacted Optus, the lady told me some of the sites I was supposed to have visited, and they sounded like the sites I would visit - except I had not actually been online with that dongle, nor was there any way that much data could have been used. 

Could someone have found the sites I visited by the data Optus keeps on my dongle? 

Are there people in Optus stealing or selling data on the side?

When I recently plugged it in to use it, there was no data left. Where did the data go? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Casey_YC

Re: Stolen data? Highwinds?

Hi there, @DanJ

Thanks for raising this with us here. 

Had the dongles recharge expiry date passed? If so, that can explain data being cleared. 

I know you mentioned you had spoken with one of our teams previously, but as we are unable to look up your account details via this platform, we do recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible. They will be able to check the expiry for you there as well as discuss any data usages. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

DanJ
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for reply.

No, the date hasn't passed, in fact the data should have lasted me until mid-2021. 

The data disappeared in big chunks that got smaller (as the data that remained was left got smaller), and I received 2 messages to say that there was 500 and 100 mb or kb left - but in that period I had not used the dongle.

The data was definitely stolen - but I don't know how when I wasn't plugging the dongle in. I did see that there was a donate button this morning, but I didn't look at it. 

As for trying to contact the team, she didn't seem to be able to do anything, and I don't like the idea of giving my personal details out to each different person I speak to - that in itself is a privacy breach that risks my data.

0 Kudos
SilverGold
New Contributor
New Contributor

I suspect that Optus stolen my data too, my normal data usage was under 250G every billing period, after signed a contract for iPhone 12, the first billing period shows over 500G data usage, Optus bill even shows over 100G data consumption in one day, I had to stop using mobile broadband for 1 week while waiting their "investigation", the Optus representatives or senior experts I talked to are just sucks, I already escalated this issue to Telecommunications industry Ombudsman.

0 Kudos
DanJ
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Silver, did you get the issue resolved? My data (the data that disappeared) is supposed to run out tomorrow and I want to know if there's any other action I should have taken / should take.

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hey @DanJ, thanks for reaching out. I've replied to one of your comments in another thread with some more info. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.