Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Highlighted
New Contributor Finchy
New Contributor

Stan

So I took up the offer for 3mths of Stan that Optus emailed through today.  I wasn’t sure if watching Stan on my phone would use my data allocation so I used the website chat option and was advised it was not something that would impact on my data.  However, I think I’ve been provided the wrong information by the staff member as I got a text notification tonight that I’ve already used half my allocation and I don’t roll over until the 25th.  

So, is Stan like Netflix and able to be streamed without using your data allocation?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Stan

Yes Stan data is free. You need to use the app for viewing though.

You might need to turn on the free data which you can do in MY ACCOUNT under ENTERTAINMENT.

The Optus App should also tell you what is going on. As a test wait a hour (for the Optus app to get up to date with your data usage). Reset (or note) the usage counter on the phone itself. Then play a show for 30 minutes. After that wait a hour for the usage counter to catch up. You should see:

1) The Phone usage has gone up a few 100Mb

2) The Optus main usage counter has not changed

3) The OPtus usage breakdown screen has gone up 100Mb (This screen shows the data, but it doesn't count to your monthly total)

You could also check the phone data settings to see what app is using your data.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Finchy
New Contributor

Ah ok, I didn’t go through the app. I had hotspotted to my laptop and then went through the Stan website.

Thanks for the reply. 😊

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Tethering and watching Netflix on a PC would ordinarily work, as would a smart TV (most), on the mobile broadband plans. I wonder if it's something quirky about Stan, your PC browser, or have they tightened access on the prepaid plans. Try your smart TV, when you get around to it.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Or could be your account is still not enabled for unmetered. You aren't the first person to complain of this.

0 Kudos